Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

KEY Sequencies of Intel AMT terminal

JaNa
Beginner

Hi all...

There is another question again.... :D :D

While I'm studying the manageability commanderto get some idea about the terminal tool, I reboot AMT machine using thesystem and terminal window ask to press F12 to choose boot media. But while I'm pressing the F12 remote machine is not recognize the key event. Then I press all F1-12 keys and it recognizes only F8.

Can any one guide me why these sorts of thing are happening...
:) :) :)

Another question is terminal ask some key combinations like

So what is this ESC and how we give the key combination.
Pls... some one guide me toenter these key combinations and why those functions keys are not recognizing...

Thnx.............

:) JaNa :)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JaNa,
Please take a look at this thread.
It has some related information on this topic and some possibly useful links.
0 Kudos
JaNa
Beginner

Hi JaNa,
Please take a look at this thread.
It has some related information on this topic and some possibly useful links.

hi Lance !!

Even i post this thing also i had visited to the same thread.... and there were no answer any more... :(
i also did the same thing "javierandrescaceres" did for the F12 key and it doesn't hepl for me also.... :(

Are there any other thing for make some help for F12 thing......??? I also need to force reboot the machine to PXE and with out the F12 key it is worthless...

I'm also still researching on this....
thanx...
:) JaNa :)
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JaNa,
It is my understanding from that thread that there is a problem with some BIOS and some terminal software. There doesn't seem to be a fix for this problem other than getting a new BIOS (probably a different mother board) and/or different terminal software that both support the ASCII set needed.
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hi JaNa,

Forcing a boot to PXE is an option that is supported by AMT, but isn't necessarily implemented by your BIOS vendor. If you need that, then get in touch with them and submit a support ticket to get it implemented in the future. Second, many terminal programs will allow you to submit the character codes to implement key-strokes in advance. You could program the terminal emulator to send the character codes to implement a F12 key sequence. I know that Ylian used to have the support for this in the DTK, but I'm not sure if it is still there. Again, if your system doesn't support the correct key sequences for implementing F12, then contact them and let them know that you want this fixed. That is the only way that you will get it in the future.

Here is a link to a document on Microsoft's website that shows how terminal emulation support should be implemented in AMT SOL. Send this link to your BIOS vendor if you need to.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/StandardizingOutOfBandManagementConsoleOutput090.doc

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - rogerb
Hi JaNa,

Forcing a boot to PXE is an option that is supported by AMT, but isn't necessarily implemented by your BIOS vendor. If you need that, then get in touch with them and submit a support ticket to get it implemented in the future. Second, many terminal programs will allow you to submit the character codes to implement key-strokes in advance. You could program the terminal emulator to send the character codes to implement a F12 key sequence. I know that Ylian used to have the support for this in the DTK, but I'm not sure if it is still there. Again, if your system doesn't support the correct key sequences for implementing F12, then contact them and let them know that you want this fixed. That is the only way that you will get it in the future.

Here is a link to a document on Microsoft's website that shows how terminal emulation support should be implemented in AMT SOL. Send this link to your BIOS vendor if you need to.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/StandardizingOutOfBandManagementConsoleOutput090.doc

Regards,
Roger

The DTK does support passing a series of keypresses, but Javier wasn't able to get it to work with a couple of different key sequences. Then again, the data on what decimal values to try for the keypresses doesn't appear to match up to what was in the document you justprovided, so maybe there's something new to try.

If I'm interpreting the documentation right, it looks like the sequence in VT100 would @, which in decimal code (and in a form that could be entered in the DTK) would translate to 27;64. Well, also the time between the two keys should be less than two seconds, but I'm fairly certain that's true for the DTK functionality. I'll have to see if that works on one of my test systems.

One other important piece of information is that I believe it's possible to query whether a BIOS supports VT100+ (and by definition, the F12 key). The GetRemoteControlCapabilities function that's part of the Remote Interface, and it returns an OEM defined Capabilities type. This struct contains a Terminal Emulation integer, and if that integer contains 0x02, that should indicate that the F12 key should work (see page 206 of the Network Interface Guide in the latest SDK).
0 Kudos