Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

Local Manageability Service and system resources

postaquestion
Beginner
The LMS (local manageability service)needs about 50% of my CPU of my ASUS V1S. What canIdo against this problem?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Could you provide us some details? Which version of AMT you are using? what is your OS? Are you seeing this all the time or just after booting up? Are you performing any other AMT operations on your system? Are you running multiple copies of LMS by any chance?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
privat22
Beginner
Hi,

1. AMT Version is 2.0.0.5 on an ASUS V1S notebook. No other AMT operations on this system.

2. OS is Windows VISTA

3. The process graps approximately 50% of both CPU's capacity direct after the System starts, which leads to 90-100% of processor usage. It remains like this if you work with the laptop. LMS takes all CPU power it can get.

4. There is only one LMS process running

My temporary solution is to disable the AMT services, which leads to normal processor load.

I have checked for viruses by using a unix boot CD with two different scanners and McAffe under windows VISTA. No viruses were detected.

I hope this information helps to solve the problem.

Best regards
Axel
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Windows Visat is supported only from Intel AMT 2.1. Is there a chance you could upgrade your system to 2.1?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
privat22
Beginner
Hi,

Sorry, I picked the wrong version out of the README-file. Where it is still 2.0.0.5.

But here are the data of the LMS.exe file:

Version: 2.5.10.1083
Created: 16.10.2007
Size: 121.624 Bytes

And still the same problem... ;-)

Best regards
Axel
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi There,

AMT does not support Vista until Version AMT 2.1 - either you should move to AMT2.1, or perhaps go back to Windows XP - this is the first thing that is "glaring" about your situation. Also, once the OS/AMT version is resolved, make sure you go into the "remove programs" option in the Control Panel and make sure you are starting with a clean upgrade - remove all versions you previously loaded and start fresh.

Gael

0 Kudos
privat22
Beginner
Hi Gael

It always was Version 2.5. There was only version 2.0 written in the readme file. I guess, the version named in the readme file, was not properly edited.
I did NOT run an update of AMT.

If I look at the properties of the process, I see the version 2.5, which is running.

Best regards
Axel
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this. Will get back to you as soon as we get an answer.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
privat22
Beginner
Hi,

what is the actual status, will there be an answer at all?

Best regards

privat22
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

We couldn't reproduce this issue. A couple of questions:

1. Have you provisioned this system? If so, in which mode - SMB or Enterprise?

2. Did you get a CD with AMT drivers along with your system? If so, could you uninstall AMT drivers and see the issue is still there? Then you can re-install the drivers.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
ashok_ichiban
Beginner
Sree: I am having the same kind of problem with LMS.exe that were discussed two years ago.
I am running XP and there is only one version of lms.exe running. the file is in ProgramFiles/Intel/AMT and is 171KB in size. It is taking up 37-40% of CPU all the time. My computer is about three months old. The LMS problem started only recently (about a week or so ago). What can I do to fix the problem?
Thanks for your help.
Ashok Gupta
PS. I could not figure out any other way but to use the "reply" option to this thread.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Might have been better to start a new thread and link to this one (missed this update to an old thread at first), but this will work fine.

Do you have the same AMT version and system that privat22 had, or do you have a different system/AMT version? You mention your computer is about three months old, does that mean it's a 2010 platform system?

As a general rule we always recommend checking whether there's an updated version of the AMT software/driver bundle on the OEM site (where you would obtain this depends on the OEM, I know the sites for some OEM's and systems so I might be able to help there). This is the kind of issue that would potentially be fixed in a maintenance release, so that would probably be the first step.

If there isn't an updated bundle, just let me know and we can look at next steps.
0 Kudos
smlvoice
Beginner
I am having the same problem. Windows 7, 64-bit, intel i-7 core. lms.exe gets triggered (seemingly by windows update download) and it revs up and uses 50% or more cpu and overworks the computer and won't stop till I go into services and stop it. Can i disable lms.exe. Do I really need it. Thanks you...SS
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

The Local Manageability Service provides local access to some Active Management Technology features. If this isyour personal system then you can safely disable LMS. If this is a work computer then you would need to work with your IT department to determine if it can be disabled.

You can learn more about AMT here.

0 Kudos
ftikl
Beginner

Intel local management service high cpu windows 2012 r2. not sure what it is, but only happens on startup.  once disabled it does re-occur. Uses 100% of CPU usage.  Ran Malware and ESET with no threats found.

under properties it shows w3wp.exe location is \windows\vss\Writers

Please help. 

0 Kudos