Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

ME Features on non-vPro laptops

Jerico_S_
Beginner

I'm searching for a comprehensive list of, or links related to, ME features are available for Intel systems that don't have vPro. Specifically I have a set of HP Elitebook 720s, 740s, 820s, and 840s. I saw the post by Colleen Culbertson,  Intel AMT, ME, MEI, and Windows Instant On/Connected Standby/ where she said “Back in the old days, one only needed to think about ME (Intel® Manageability Engine) Firmware if one was using Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT) on Intel® vProTM Technology systems.  But some form of ME is now found on most Intel client architecture based systems including the need for an interface driver between the OS and the hardware (previously called HECI, now called the MEI (Manageability Engine Interface) driver.) " This got me very curious about what I could do on my Intel laptops that aren't vPro. Can anyone point me to any resources related to this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Are you looking for manageability features? Those are limited to Intel AMT via Intel vPro Technology or SBA.

Other areas of ME firmware are used for security related features, fan related controls, cryptography, and more. The ME firmware is basically building blocks to Intel features which may include more than firmware. 

0 Kudos
Jerico_S_
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response Colleen. Manageability is desirable, and since we are talking about the MEI I figured it would be manageability related. Yet I'm also interested in any of the features that Intel provides by simply being an Intel laptop, excluding vPro machines. You said that the ME is the building block of those features, but as a customer exploring Intel, I don't really understand what those features are and how a system administrator or a user, might see them at the OS layer.

What do you mean by cah related controls? You said also said "and more" and I'm keen to understand what those features are.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

sorry that was supposed to say fan related (no idea how my fingers typed cah instead). I think your question is well beyond the scope of a developer's forum topic. I'm sure there is marketing material on the HP and the Intel site if you check under business PCs or business systems or small business.

0 Kudos
Jerico_S_
Beginner

Alright I believe you're correct that my scope was too large.

If you don't mind me changing my question, I have been looking and I have had trouble finding the circumstances when MEI features are used as referenced in your blog post. Do you have any links to features specifically built on the ME engine on non-vPro laptops? I don't think this is obvious from the documentation I've seen.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Some of the non vPro features I've seen include cooling, security (Intel(R) Identity Protection Tech) and Anti-theft and secure cryptography.

0 Kudos