Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

What's the option 81?

jacace
New Contributor I
Hello everybody!

I'm in a documentacion process so I've been reviewing carefully the Intel AMT SCS documentation.
I noticed that in the Intel AMT SCS installation guide page 105 there are two references to something called "option 81"; due to the documentation context I could supose what it is, but as I'm writing someguides I'd like to know what is specifically the option 81?

Thanks a lot!

Javier Andrs
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Hello everybody!

I'm in a documentacion process so I've been reviewing carefully the Intel AMT SCS documentation.
I noticed that in the Intel AMT SCS installation guide page 105 there are two references to something called "option 81"; due to the documentation context I could supose what it is, but as I'm writing someguides I'd like to know what is specifically the option 81?

Thanks a lot!

Javier Andrs

Javier,
The references to option 81 on page 105 of the SCS documentation has to do with the AMT system requesting that the DHCP server it got an IP address from also registers the AMT Systems FQDN with a DNS server.

This is to ensure that you can get to an AMT system with an FQDN (host name and full domain) instead of just an IP address. It's also important for TLS or Kerboros support, since an FQDN needs to be associated with the AMT systems for both TLS and Kerberos.

It's possible to manually add in DNS entries instead for each AMT system, but needless to say there is more overhead with this approach.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Hello everybody!

Thanks a lot!

Javier Andrs

Javier,
The references to option 81 on page 105 of the SCS documentation has to do with the AMT system requesting that the DHCP server it got an IP address from also registers the AMT Systems FQDN with a DNS server.

This is to ensure that you can get to an AMT system with an FQDN (host name and full domain) instead of just an IP address. It's also important for TLS or Kerboros support, since an FQDN needs to be associated with the AMT systems for both TLS and Kerberos.

It's possible to manually add in DNS entries instead for each AMT system, but needless to say there is more overhead with this approach.
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Javier,

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for clarify me!

Javier Andrs
0 Kudos