Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1708 Discussions

Can't compile SYCL apps to run on FPGA

zjnyly
Beginner

Hello, I registered a free devcloud account and tried some examples provided by this website:

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples  and run the demo from Code Sample Browser for Intel® oneAPI Toolkits.

I can submit the build and run script to generate the app run on GPU, but when I followed the instruction to submit a job to build SYCL FPGA app 

qsub -l nodes=1:fpga_compile:ppn=2 -d . build_fpga_hw.sh

The error generated 

aoc: This compilation stage requires an installation of Intel(R) Quartus(R) Prime software!
aoc: However Quartus was not found on the PATH or passed in using QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE.
aoc: If you have a valid installation, please pass it in using QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE or add it to the PATH.
aoc: Otherwise, consider downloading Quartus from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/661712/intel-quartus-prime-pro-edition-design-software-version-19-2-for-linux.html
llvm-foreach: 
dpcpp: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [Makefile.fpga:30: vector-add-buffers.fpga] Error 1

I don't know how to install QUARTUS on the devcloud because I'm not  among sudoers.

What's more, Forgive me to ask a really stupid question: I notices that you have recently changed the  header file from "CL/sycl.hpp" to "sycl/sycl.hpp" in this repo

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/master/DirectProgramming/DPC%2B%2B/DenseLinearAlgebra/vector-add 

and when I run the  conmmand

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..

The compiler tells me that header file  "sycl/sycl.hpp" can't be found and if I change the header file back to "CL/sycl.hpp", then it can be found.

I can't locate where the header files locate, I think it usually can be found in /usr/include folder, but appears not. The CMakeFile is a little complicated for me to read, so I really want to konw how to find the location of these header files.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RemyaP_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please try the following workaround for QUARTUS not found issue:

$ QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE=/opt/intel/intelFPGA_pro/19.2/quartus <make_or_cmake_command>

The idea is to set the environment variable manually.

For future reference, the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE env var should not be empty and should point to the latest installation of Quartus.

$ echo $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE
/opt/intel/intelFPGA_pro/19.2/quartus

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This helps others with a similar issue.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RemyaP_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. 

"QUARTUS not found" is a known issue and the team is working on this internally. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Also as you have noticed, there is a header file change in the latest repo which is causing the issue. It is also a known to us. We can change the header back to "CL/cycle.hpp" or clone the previous branch to resolve this.

The header files which you are looking for can be found in the DevCloud at 

Path: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/latest/linux/include/sycl/CL

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please try the following workaround for QUARTUS not found issue:

$ QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE=/opt/intel/intelFPGA_pro/19.2/quartus <make_or_cmake_command>

The idea is to set the environment variable manually.

For future reference, the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE env var should not be empty and should point to the latest installation of Quartus.

$ echo $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR_OVERRIDE
/opt/intel/intelFPGA_pro/19.2/quartus

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This helps others with a similar issue.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos
RemyaP_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Remya Premdas

0 Kudos