Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1709 Discussions

The instructions to build and run the vector_add example aren't working for me

mrakgr
New Contributor I

https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/get_started/baseToolkitSamples/

I am following the instructions here to run the hello world sample. I cloned the `oneAPI-samples` using git, went into the directory and created the relevant build.sh and run.sh files there. Submitting them to the job queue using...

qsub -l nodes=1:gpu:ppn=2 -d . build.sh

...doesn't seem to be actually doing anything.

It feels like there is something wrong with make, and even just running `make clean` or `make all `directly is telling me that no target is set.

Furthermore, the build scripts for the learnings modules work completely differently, and don't seem to even use make

Also...

qsub -I -l nodes=1:gpu:ppn=2 -d .

...when I try to run an interactive session, it starts the node and then quickly ejects me. This happens when done from both ssh and the Jupyter notebook terminal. Am I supposed to be doing something else in order to log into the interactive session?

I could try adapting the build scripts for the learning modules and get it to work that way, but before I do that, I want to understand what is going wrong here.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mrakgr
New Contributor I
#!/bin/bash
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make cpu-gpu
# make clean # will erase the executable.
./vector-add-buffers

Ok, I figured it out. The instructions in the readme.md file that comes with the sample are more on point and work for me. Also a tricky part of bash scripting is that the last statements needs to have a newline otherwise it won't be executed.

I can submit the above script as a job and it will get compiled and run correctly.

A point of confusion for me is still what is going on with the interactive sessions.

Also, VS Code's remote extension host keeps crashing whenever I log into the shell using it using the regular SSH settings, and won't login at all using the remote specific settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mrakgr
New Contributor I
#!/bin/bash
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make cpu-gpu
# make clean # will erase the executable.
./vector-add-buffers

Ok, I figured it out. The instructions in the readme.md file that comes with the sample are more on point and work for me. Also a tricky part of bash scripting is that the last statements needs to have a newline otherwise it won't be executed.

I can submit the above script as a job and it will get compiled and run correctly.

A point of confusion for me is still what is going on with the interactive sessions.

Also, VS Code's remote extension host keeps crashing whenever I log into the shell using it using the regular SSH settings, and won't login at all using the remote specific settings.

0 Kudos
mrakgr
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Glad to know that your issue is resolved.

Thanks for sharing the solution with us. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos