Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

Latest intel python in conda

Lorenzo_0
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am new to anaconda, so maybe this question is trivial. I followed the guide  to install the intel python package in the environment idp. When i execute conda list, it shows several packages from 2018, for example.

impi_rt                   2018.0.3                intel_0  [intel]  intel
intelpython               2018.0.3                      0    intel
intelpython3_core         2018.0.3                      0    intel
intelpython3_full         2018.0.3                      0    intel
ipp                       2018.0.3                intel_0    intel

If I execute conda update --all , it tells that all the packages are already installed. However, if I try to install in the base environment some of these packages,   I see that the installed version is

intelpython               2020.1                        0    intel

How can I update the packages in the idp environment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Lorenzo,

In essence, this is an issue that is user OS based rather than Intel-based one - IDP (Intel Distribution of Python)will install with the version it thinks is best for your computer based on your computer's native CPython version (if it is older, IDP will try to install with a older version, like version 2018). This does not occur with user OS systems that are inherently installed with newer CPython versions.

To fix the issue, I suggest the following:

1. Create a new and empty conda env : "conda create -n idp_new" [change idp_new to whatever name you would like]
  2. Do one of the following command instead to get the latest IDP version:
    1. "conda install -c intel intelpython3_full=2020.1" [will install IDP's latest version by specifiying it]
    2. "conda install intelpython3_full python=<3.6/3.7> -c intel" [will install IDP based on the latest Python version]

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please confirm the OS that you are using. We had observed the issue in Linux but not in windows. We had forwarded the case to SME for fixing it.

0 Kudos
Lorenzo_0
Beginner

Hi ChithraJ,

I am using Ubuntu 18.04

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Lorenzo,

In essence, this is an issue that is user OS based rather than Intel-based one - IDP (Intel Distribution of Python)will install with the version it thinks is best for your computer based on your computer's native CPython version (if it is older, IDP will try to install with a older version, like version 2018). This does not occur with user OS systems that are inherently installed with newer CPython versions.

To fix the issue, I suggest the following:

1. Create a new and empty conda env : "conda create -n idp_new" [change idp_new to whatever name you would like]
  2. Do one of the following command instead to get the latest IDP version:
    1. "conda install -c intel intelpython3_full=2020.1" [will install IDP's latest version by specifiying it]
    2. "conda install intelpython3_full python=<3.6/3.7> -c intel" [will install IDP based on the latest Python version]

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Lorenzo_0
Beginner

Hi ChithraJ,

Your solution worked nicely. Now I have the 2020 version in my idp environment.

I have an additional question, maybe off-topic. After messing a bit around in the previous days, I got some intel packages also in the base environment. How can I remove them (or simply tell anaconda to prefer the normal ones) and keep them only in the idp environment?

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Lorenzo,

We are glad to know that the solution worked well. To remove the Intel packages installed in base environment, you can use Conda remove <package-name>. Since your original issue got resolved, we are closing this case. Please feel free to raise a new thread if you have any further issues.

Thanks.

0 Kudos