Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6401 Discussions

Custom RCNN-Incepciton-V2 Tensorflow to Movidius NCS graph

idata
Employee

Hello dear community,

First of all congratulations on the great job done with this VPU stick, it is really amazing!

I am working on a project which started using tensorflow in CPU, but since I needed more speed on the inference, I decided to move on Movidius stick.

I have been able to run the typical object detector, and I am using the example provided in NCApp Zoo "video_objects". So far so good

The problem I have is that my trained network is based in "Faster-RCNN-Inception-V2" ("http://download.tensorflow.org/models/object_detection/faster_rcnn_inception_v2_coco_2018_01_28.tar.gz"), and I dont know whether it is possible to run this kind of network on the MNCS or which are the steps to follow. I am running this network with tensorflow-cpu on raspberry and it is very slow (8 minutes per inference… quite a lot, but I just need to do one inference ), and that is the reason that I would like to move on a movidius graph.

I have seen in some posts that this network is not supported but I don't know if that is still that way. In case that it is now supported, could you give me some guidance on how to export this frozen model to a movidius graph?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Update: This is what I am trying to do. As a proof of concept I am taking 2 re-trained models, one with the "Faster-RCNN-Inception-V2" network and other with the "ssd_mobilenet_v1_coco_2017_11_17"

Compiling RCNN:

sudo mvNCCompile -s 12 model.ckpt-21306.meta -in=image_tensor -on=detection_boxes,detection_scores,detection_classes,num_detections

Throws:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 118, in <module> create_graph(args.network, args.inputnode, args.outputnode, args.outfile, args.nshaves, args.inputsize, args.weights) File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 104, in create_graph net = parse_tensor(args, myriad_config) File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/TensorFlowParser.py", line 213, in parse_tensor saver = tf.train.import_meta_graph(path, clear_devices=True) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/training/saver.py", line 1810, in import_meta_graph **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/meta_graph.py", line 660, in import_scoped_meta_graph producer_op_list=producer_op_list) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/importer.py", line 292, in import_graph_def op_def = op_dict[node.op] KeyError: 'ParallelInterleaveDataset'

This is because ParallellInterleaveDataset is not among the items contained in the default op_dict of protos, and I don't know how to follow here, so I will use the frozen graph:

sudo mvNCCompile -s 12 inference_graph/frozen_inference_graph_great.pb -in=image_tensor -on=detection_boxes,detection_scores,detection_classes,num_detections

Which throws:

[Error 13] Toolkit Error: Provided OutputNode/InputNode name does not exist or does not match with one contained in model file Provided: detection_boxes,detection_scores,detection_classes,num_detections:0

Ok, this is because its reading the output as a whole, not separated by different output nodes, so lets try one output node:

sudo mvNCCompile -s 12 inference_graph/frozen_inference_graph_great.pb -in=image_tensor -on=detection_boxes

Which throws:

mvNCCompile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py:766: DeprecationWarning: builtin type EagerTensor has no __module__ attribute EagerTensor = c_api.TFE_Py_InitEagerTensor(_EagerTensorBase) /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/util/tf_inspect.py:45: DeprecationWarning: inspect.getargspec() is deprecated, use inspect.signature() instead if d.decorator_argspec is not None), _inspect.getargspec(target)) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 118, in <module> create_graph(args.network, args.inputnode, args.outputnode, args.outfile, args.nshaves, args.inputsize, args.weights) File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 104, in create_graph net = parse_tensor(args, myriad_config) File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/TensorFlowParser.py", line 259, in parse_tensor input_data = np.random.uniform(0, 1, shape) File "mtrand.pyx", line 1302, in mtrand.RandomState.uniform File "mtrand.pyx", line 242, in mtrand.cont2_array_sc TypeError: 'NoneType' object cannot be interpreted as an integer

Lets move to a supported network, mobilenet ssd. Doing the same, I basically have the same outputs.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same here. With RCNN_Resnet101.

$ mvNCCompile -s 12 rcnn_frozen_inference_graph.pb -in=image_tensor -on=detection_boxes mvNCCompile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py:766: DeprecationWarning: builtin type EagerTensor has no __module__ attribute EagerTensor = c_api.TFE_Py_InitEagerTensor(_EagerTensorBase) /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/util/tf_inspect.py:45: DeprecationWarning: inspect.getargspec() is deprecated, use inspect.signature() instead if d.decorator_argspec is not None), _inspect.getargspec(target)) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 118, in <module> create_graph(args.network, args.inputnode, args.outputnode, args.outfile, args.nshaves, args.inputsize, args.weights) File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCCompile", line 104, in create_graph net = parse_tensor(args, myriad_config) File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/TensorFlowParser.py", line 259, in parse_tensor input_data = np.random.uniform(0, 1, shape) File "mtrand.pyx", line 1302, in mtrand.RandomState.uniform File "mtrand.pyx", line 242, in mtrand.cont2_array_sc TypeError: 'NoneType' object cannot be interpreted as an integer
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@JoseSecmotic @azmath We haven't added any updates in regards to Faster R-CNNs for the NCSDK. As an alternative, you can check out Intel's OpenVino Toolkit which offers some support for Faster R-CNNs and is compatible with the NCS device. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-RelNotes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks a lot @Tome_at_Intel , I will give it a try!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again @Tome_at_Intel

I have successfully installed OpenVINO, and tried to use their model optimizer in order to obtain a graph "framework agnostic". Nevertheless, it keeps failing. Is there any other solution?

For example, I would be interested exporting my SSD Mobilenet to Movidius graph, but I have the same errors that en Faster R-CNN model. Could you give me some guidance on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance, and best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@JoseSecmotic If you are using SSD MobileNet for TensorFlow, we don't have support for that yet on the NCSDK. I may have been mistaken about what I said about Faster R-CNNs being supported by OpenVino on the NCS. It isn't very clear what models are supported for which hardware yet on OpenVIno.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks @Tome_at_Intel !

I decided to develop a new custom model with Caffe, which I guess it won't be a problem to run on the NCS.

After a couple of weeks researching with OpenVino, I wasn't able to export the tensorflow model with the model optimizer they provide, and yet, I wasn't sure whether it would run later in the NCS…

If you have any hint or tutorial on how to develop a single object classifier for the Movidius NCS, it would be fantastic

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @Tome_at_Intel

Regarding your last comment, you say that you don't have support for SSD MobileNet for Tensorflow. Could you tell me which networks on tensorflow can be retrained to perform custom object detection?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@JoseSecmotic Tiny Yolo V2 works via Darkflow transformation and we have a piece of sample code at https://github.com/movidius/ncappzoo/tree/ncsdk2/tensorflow/tiny_yolo_v2.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks @Tome_at_Intel ! I will give it a shot and come back here telling about the results.

So far I am trying now from darknet with yolov2, then with transformation to caffe, and then compile it with mvNCCompiler. When I tried it in my app it gave me a MYRIAD error. I will keep you posted :)

Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am a little lost by your link. This downloads a cfg and weights files. But if you have custom images that you need recognized don't you have to regenerate the weights file from training?

Do you have any tutorials on how to use a pre-configured network graph such as InceptionV3 or Yolo V2 retrain it ?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @chicagobob123

I'm in your same situation, and so far I have achieved to retrain a Yolo V2 with a custom class using darknet. Then, I've managed to export it to a frozen tensorflow, and now I'm struggling with the export to movidius, which fails me for now.

I have used the following tutorial to retrain for a single custom class: https://timebutt.github.io/static/how-to-train-yolov2-to-detect-custom-objects/

Then, instead of downloading those weights and cfg, use the weights generated by darknet and you'll have a .pb file

Hope that helps ;)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello @Tome_at_Intel

Regarding the repository of https://github.com/movidius/ncappzoo/tree/ncsdk2/tensorflow/tiny_yolo_v2 , it seems very useful.

I had to make some changes to make it run with Cython, but I have the following output when trying to compile or to profile.

As something to mention, I am training the algorithm with a GPU/CUDNN cloud machine, and profiling/compiling in a local machine with the NCSDKv2 installed.

It seems very difficult to install the SDK as non root in the cloud machine, so I gave up on doing everything in the same machine…

Could you help me with this?

mvNCProfile -s 12 yolov2-tiny-voc.pb mvNCProfile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py:766: DeprecationWarning: builtin type EagerTensor has no __module__ attribute EagerTensor = c_api.TFE_Py_InitEagerTensor(_EagerTensorBase) /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/util/tf_inspect.py:45: DeprecationWarning: inspect.getargspec() is deprecated, use inspect.signature() instead if d.decorator_argspec is not None), _inspect.getargspec(target)) ... /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/tensor_util.py:509: DeprecationWarning: The binary mode of fromstring is deprecated, as it behaves surprisingly on unicode inputs. Use frombuffer instead return np.fromstring(tensor.tensor_content, dtype=dtype).reshape(shape) 2018-07-27 14:43:18.160581: E tensorflow/core/common_runtime/executor.cc:643] Executor failed to create kernel. Invalid argument: NodeDef mentions attr 'dilations' not in Op<name=Conv2D; signature=input:T, filter:T -> output:T; attr=T:type,allowed=[DT_HALF, DT_FLOAT]; attr=strides:list(int); attr=use_cudnn_on_gpu:bool,default=true; attr=padding:string,allowed=["SAME", "VALID"]; attr=data_format:string,default="NHWC",allowed=["NHWC", "NCHW"]>; NodeDef: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter). (Check whether your GraphDef-interpreting binary is up to date with your GraphDef-generating binary.). [[Node: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter)]] Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1323, in _do_call return fn(*args) .... ist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/errors_impl.py", line 473, in __exit__ c_api.TF_GetCode(self.status.status)) tensorflow.python.framework.errors_impl.InvalidArgumentError: NodeDef mentions attr 'dilations' not in Op<name=Conv2D; signature=input:T, filter:T -> output:T; attr=T:type,allowed=[DT_HALF, DT_FLOAT]; attr=strides:list(int); attr=use_cudnn_on_gpu:bool,default=true; attr=padding:string,allowed=["SAME", "VALID"]; attr=data_format:string,default="NHWC",allowed=["NHWC", "NCHW"]>; NodeDef: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter). (Check whether your GraphDef-interpreting binary is up to date with your GraphDef-generating binary.). [[Node: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter)]] During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCProfile", line 121, in <module> profile_net(args.network, args.inputnode, args.outputnode, args.nshaves, args.inputsize, args.weights, args.device_no) File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCProfile", line 104, in profile_net .... File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1120, in _run feed_dict_tensor, options, run_metadata) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1317, in _do_run options, run_metadata) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1336, in _do_call raise type(e)(node_def, op, message) tensorflow.python.framework.errors_impl.InvalidArgumentError: NodeDef mentions attr 'dilations' not in Op<name=Conv2D; signature=input:T, filter:T -> output:T; attr=T:type,allowed=[DT_HALF, DT_FLOAT]; attr=strides:list(int); attr=use_cudnn_on_gpu:bool,default=true; attr=padding:string,allowed=["SAME", "VALID"]; attr=data_format:string,default="NHWC",allowed=["NHWC", "NCHW"]>; NodeDef: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter). (Check whether your GraphDef-interpreting binary is up to date with your GraphDef-generating binary.). [[Node: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter)]] Caused by op '0-convolutional', defined at: File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCProfile", line 121, in <module> profile_net(args.network, args.inputnode, args.outputnode, args.nshaves, args.inputsize, args.weights, args.device_no) File "/usr/local/bin/mvNCProfile", line 104, in profile_net net = parse_tensor(args, myriad_config, file_gen=True) File "/usr/local/bin/ncsdk/Controllers/TensorFlowParser.py", line 211, in parse_tensor tf.import_graph_def(graph_def, name="") File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/importer.py", line 313, in import_graph_def op_def=op_def) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 2956, in create_op op_def=op_def) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.py", line 1470, in __init__ self._traceback = self._graph._extract_stack() # pylint: disable=protected-access InvalidArgumentError (see above for traceback): NodeDef mentions attr 'dilations' not in Op<name=Conv2D; signature=input:T, filter:T -> output:T; attr=T:type,allowed=[DT_HALF, DT_FLOAT]; attr=strides:list(int); attr=use_cudnn_on_gpu:bool,default=true; attr=padding:string,allowed=["SAME", "VALID"]; attr=data_format:string,default="NHWC",allowed=["NHWC", "NCHW"]>; NodeDef: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter). (Check whether your GraphDef-interpreting binary is up to date with your GraphDef-generating binary.). [[Node: 0-convolutional = Conv2D[T=DT_FLOAT, data_format="NHWC", dilations=[1, 1, 1, 1], padding="VALID", strides=[1, 1, 1, 1], use_cudnn_on_gpu=true, _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Pad, 0-convolutional/filter)]]
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

First THANKS for the how to retrain Yolo. Before this I created a pb file using retrain.py and inceptionV3 with googlecodelabs. I tested it in codelabs and a static image and it worked. I was never able to get that pb file to compile with MNVCCompile. That is why I wanted an end to end how tutorial. Movidius has been gracious enough to provide graphs that I have used to test with but I can not complete this project without a retrained graph.

To me, there is no real reason to create a new CNN network since inception V3 works so well, so why bother.

In the end if I have to then I need to know whats allowed since so many are having mnvccompile issues.

Also.. You looked into OpenVino. Did you use it under Linux? I think you could not get it to work either?

Is that so?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again @chicagobob123

It seems that we have the same goals, to retrain a model in order to recognize new class/classes and to run it in Movidius :)

I looked into OpenVino and used it under Linux, but I had no success using it sadly.

I am looking forward to know if someone have had success so far retraining a model and running it in Movidius with a custom class, but it seems pretty difficult

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@chicagobob123 @JoseSecmotic Mr. @AshwinVijayakumar has a github repo that retrains mobilenet and uses the flowers dataset at https://github.com/ashwinvijayakumar/ncappzoo/blob/flowers/apps/flowers/Makefile. The resulting model should work on the NCS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks @Tome_at_Intel ! I will take a look at it!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok Tome_at_Intel I took a quick look and found a makefile that runs a python scripts.

I think I can make my way through it but I hope Intel understands that an end to end process from training to inference with the stick and how to do reuse and retrain current standard inference graphs would go a LONG way to make this product successful. I think the stick is a great idea and it has delivered me some mild success already. So much so I keep trying to use it. But I am currently pretty stuck and Jose has mentioned he had no success with OpenVino. So deeper spelunking I go.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @chicagobob123

I agree that it would be very helpful to have more documented processes for retraining in movidius with less restrictive scenarios.

I'm trying to reproduce the steps in the flowers dataset, and I already have my TFrecords generated, but so far, I only achieve to increase the loss. Do you know why this could happen?

Best regards
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @Tome_at_Intel

Regarding the flowers example, this is a image classification, so I would need at least 2 classes.

In my case I have a single class and I would like to perform object detection instead object classification, so this is not the same scenario. Am I right?
0 Kudos