Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Does 2019 R1 for MacOS support NCS2?

Kang__June
Beginner

MacOS support from 2019 R1 is really good news for my project.

However, I can't find any references about intel Neural Compute Stick integration. 

Is it possible to integrate the NCS2 with current version of Openvino kit? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear June, 

Unfortunately NCS/NCS2 is not supported natively on MacOS.  It may be possible to get an Ubuntu VM to work on a MacOS host though.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Poca__Ramon
Beginner

Is there any plans on supporting it? I did run it an Ubuntu VM, but it would give problems as the VM restricts access to certain Intel CPU instruction sets used for optimization, and consequently degrade the throughput.

Regards,

Ramon

Shubha R. (Intel) wrote:

Dear June, 

Unfortunately NCS/NCS2 is not supported natively on MacOS.  It may be possible to get an Ubuntu VM to work on a MacOS host though.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Behrens__Henrik
Beginner

Dear Shubha,

I carefully followed the steps in https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2019_R3.1/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_macos.html#set-the-environment-variables. OpenVINO™ toolkit for macOS installation was successful on macos Catalina.
Scrolling down, the documentation continues with

Steps for Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2

Sounds promising!
For example, to install the libusb library using Homebrew*, use the following command:
> brew install libusb
Done successfully.
But: What next? The documentation seems to stop ...

After plugging in the NCS2 into my iMac, I run:

Newton:face_detection_tutorial henrik$ sudo dmesg | grep Movidius
815835.516553 Movidius MyriadX@14100000: IOUSBHostDevice::getDescriptorGated: compliance violation: USB 2.0 9.3.5: device returned more than wLength data
815835.518382 Movidius MyriadX@14100000: IOUSBHostDevice::getDescriptorGated: compliance violation: USB 2.0 9.3.5: device returned more than wLength data

That's all.
What do I need to do after installing libusb?
There are clear instructions for Ubuntu, running a skript in intel/openvino/install_dependencies/.
On macos, the same directory is installed, but with a link to the documentation only.
Thus, the documentation points to itself.

There's something missing, am I right? Can you provide a solution?

Best Regards,
Henrik

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Henrik,

I apologize for the confusion. After installing the OpenVINO toolkit and following the additional steps for the Intel NCS 2. You can jump back to the verification script section. Run the verification script with the -d MYRIAD flag to run inference on the Intel NCS 2.

cd /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/demo
./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh -d MYRIAD

You can also run any sample/demo that is supported on the Intel NCS 2 by specifying the target device (-d MYRIAD).

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Behrens__Henrik
Beginner

Hi Jesus, done, works! Thx

0 Kudos