Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Error when i use NCS2: ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

redans__redans
Beginner

Hi,
I recently bought Neural Compute Stick 2, Powered by Intel movidius myriad x vpu, NCS 2. I follwed those steps : https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/get-started-with-neural-compute-stick and when I tried to test my install. (step 4), I recevied next error:
[ INFO ] Loading model to the plugin
E: [ncAPI] [ 231949] ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
[ ERROR ] Can not init USB device: NC_ERROR
Error on or near line 241; exiting with status 1

I used this distribution of Ubuntu, in VMware Workstation, it is a VM guest, in a Win10 host.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

OpenVINO toolkit works great, no error. I've tried this tutorial https://github.com/incluit/OpenVino-For-SmartCity and all examples works on CPU and now I want to execute them with MYRIAD . Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi Redans,

Did you configure the USB driver for the NCS? 

Run the following commands and try again:

source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh
cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies
./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
meng__wu
Beginner

Hi,  I also recevied next error:
E: [ncAPI] [ 231949] ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

I used this distribution of Ubuntu, 16.04.6 LTS. and I also run the following commands:

1.source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh

2.cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies

3./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh

Do you solved it? Thank you!

Best Regards,

Meng

0 Kudos
redans__redans
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your advice! It's works!

0 Kudos
meng__wu
Beginner

Hi,
I also recevied next error:
 ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

I used this distribution of Ubuntu, 16.04.6 LTS. and I also run the following commands :

1.source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh

2.cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies

3./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh

Do you solve it? Thanks!

Best Regards,

Meng

0 Kudos
meng__wu
Beginner

Hi Sahira,

I also run the following commands :

1.source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh 2. cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies 3. ./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh 

but I still recieve this error: ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND.

I used this distribution of Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.  Besides, I found the inference speed of using cpu(i5-8500)  is faster than NEURAL Compute stick 2.  Why this? Can you give me some advice. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Meng 

0 Kudos
meng__wu
Beginner

Hi Sahira,

I also run the following commands :

1.source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh 2. cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies 3. ./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh

but I still recieve this error: ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND.

I used this distribution of Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.  Besides, I found the inference speed of using cpu(i5-8500)  is faster than NEURAL Compute stick 2.  Why this? Can you give me some advice. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Meng 

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear meng, wu,

Inference speed of a CPU being faster than VPU is not so unusual. It's a power/performance trade off. VPUs give great performance at lower power consumption.

For your NCS2 issues, please follow these guides:

OpenVino Linux Install

Additional NCS2 steps

Also please kindly make sure you are on the latest OpenVino version, which is 2019R1.1.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
redans__redans
Beginner

Yes, I solved it! It's important to execute following commands

source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh
cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies

and then to plug in your NCS2 stick.

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear redans, redans,

Excellent news ! I really appreciate your sharing your victory and feedback with the OpenVino community. 

March On with OpenVino !

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
tbarr7
Beginner

Hello

I have a same X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND problème only with security_barrier_demo sample, another samples running without problem.

and i have use there command without result :

source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh

cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies

and retour message :

Update udev rules so that the toolkit can communicate with your neural compute stick
[install_NCS_udev_rules.sh] udev rules installed

The problem only appears when loading the 2nd and 3rd models, the 1st model load correctly.

you can find in attach the screen copy

my config : Raspberry pi3B, Raspian Buster, NCS2

Thank you very much for your help

Thierry

0 Kudos
tbarr7
Beginner

Hello

I have a same problem  ncDeviceOpen:672 Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND in 2 differents CPU (Raspberry PIn 3B and ODROID XU4 and NC2) you can find in attach a screen copy.

The problem only occurs if I have more than 1 model to load.
There is no error with examples that have only 1 model.

the problem only appears with the version "l_openvino_toolkit_raspbi_p_2019.1.144.tgz" NOT with "l_openvino_toolkit_raspbi_p_2019.1.094.tgz" version.

After some research, if I replace the directory "/opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/armv7l" by the one of the "l_openvino_toolkit_raspbi_p_2019.1.094.tgz" version, the problem disappears.
Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks Thierry

0 Kudos
Zhang__JIaYu
Beginner

Hello,when I insert 2 ncs2 at the same time ,the code ddidn't work.

It occurs

```E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:672        Failed to find suitable device, rc: X_LINK_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "async_api_multi-threads_multi-requests.py", line 131, in <module>
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "async_api_multi-threads_multi-requests.py", line 111, in main
    exec_net = plugin.load(network=net, num_requests=request_number*2)
  File "ie_api.pyx", line 395, in openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IEPlugin.load
  File "ie_api.pyx", line 406, in openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IEPlugin.load
RuntimeError: Can not init USB device: NC_ERROR
```

0 Kudos