Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Installation issues Windows10 and Ubuntu 16.04

Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

Problems with and errors in the installation instructions:

Linux:

Additional steps for GPU.  Says cd /opt/intel/openvino/install_dependencies/

Problem is directory does not exist path should be:

/opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/install_dependencies

computer_vision_sdk is a symlink created by the installer to computer_vision_sdk_<version>

After installing one of the two "sugestions to ignore" is different.  The first seems OK and presumably what is being referred too. The second:

"If you use 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processor, you will need to add:
   i915.alpha_support=1
   to the 4.14 kernel command line, in order to enable OpenCL functionality for this platform."

seems different, and is confusing.  Current 16.04.5 is using kernel 4.15.0

How do I know if I'm using an 8th generation CPU?  I'm sure this is clear to the marketing department, but all I can see is that I appear to have an i7-4500U in this particular box.   Is this comment even relevant for kernel 4.15.0?

There is also some inconsistency where the instructions say "if you run as root" but the step fails if not run as root.

Windows:

Installation fails at the "Use Demo Scripts To Verify Installation" step if there is a space in the %USERPROFILE%

With the help from a comment in another thread, I was able to eventually place "" in enough places in demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.bat to get it to run.

Ran into the same problem with demo_security_barrier_camera.bat but the "" seemed to be there already so I commented out the if exists stanza that was skipping the ms_build.  This succeeded but the process seems to have deleted the build from the previous batch file.

How about some instructions on how to build all the examples as I did  Linux with make all in the inference_engine_samples directory?  On my first Linux install this happened automatically (R4) during one of the steps, on my second (R5) it did not but was fairly obvious as to how to fix.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

How about some instructions on how to build all the examples as I did  Linux with make all in the inference_engine_samples directory?  On my first Linux install this happened automatically (R4) during one of the steps, on my second (R5) it did not but was fairly obvious as to how to fix.

I think I figured it out.

In the inference_engine\samples directory there is a create_msvc2017_solution.bat  which I ran.

It created in the Intel\OpenVINO\inference_engine_samples2017 directory a ALL_BUILD.vcxproj among a bunch of other stuff.  Seems I guessed right to double click it and after VS2017 opens change from Debug to Release and do Build->Build All_BUILD.

It seems to have completed correctly.

Maybe this would have completed automatically if not for the "space in %USERPROFILE% bug" in the installations bat files.

0 Kudos
Kulecz__Walter
New Contributor I

That joy was short-lived :(

Trying to run a sample gets:

inference_engine.dll not found

opencv_world4.01.dll not found

Obviously there is more arcane windows crap to content with :(

0 Kudos