Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Issues running Openvino on Arria 10 GX FPGA development kit

Chiron__Aure
Beginner

My config is Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS.

I have installed the Intel Arria 10 GX FPGA Development board following the guide here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/tgy1490191698959.html?-1926199859.1534783437

But I found on Intel’s website that this board is no longer supported in newer version of OpenVino…

So, I went on and followed these 2 guides on how to install 2019 R1.1 Openvino with FPGA support:

https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2019_R1.1/_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_linux_fpga.html

At section Complete Accelerator Setup, I switch to this other link which gives more precise instructions related to the hardware I have (i.e. Arria 10 GX FPGA dev kit):

https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/2019_R1.1/_docs_install_guides_GX_Configure_2019R1.html

But I run into an issue (at step 11), where something is missing when I run aocl install:

Cannot find board_env.xml in /opt/altera/aocl-pro-rte/aclrte-linux64/board/a10_1150_sg1

In fact, the a10_1150_sg1 folder is missing.

So, I searched in fpga_support_files folder and I found a similar folder in /home/<user>/Download/fpga_support_files/config/hddlf/2019.r1/a10_1150_sg1

I copied it to the location where aocl install was expecting it.

I can run subsequently run the aocl install command, it built the kernel module “aclpci_a10_1150_sg1_drv.ko” but for some reason, after subsequent reboot, module is not loaded (does not appear when typing lsmod command).

I can run modprobe and add the module manually but the next command aocl diagnose (step 14 in the procedure) will still fail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

No devices attached for package:

/opt/altera/aocl-pro-rte/aclrte-linux64/board/a10_1150_sg1

Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation

Found no active device installed on the host machine.

Please make sure to:

1. Set the environment variable AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT to the correct board package.

2. Install the driver from the selected board package.

3. Properly install the device in the host machine.

4. Configure the device with a supported OpenCL design.

5. Reboot the machine if the PCI Express link failed.

DIAGNOSTIC_FAILED

Call "aocl diagnose <device-names>" to run diagnose for specified devices

Call "aocl diagnose all" to run diagnose for all devices

Any ideas what is going on here? Is the Arria 10 GX FPGA development board still supported at all for Openvino?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know how do you execute "source /home/<user>/Downloads/fpga_support_files/setup_env.sh" the reason? The reason is that currently you are targeting the Arria 10 Computer Vision Board which is the IEI Mustang board. 

Could you provide me the setup_env.sh file that you are using so that I can see if the setting to changed so that it is targeting the correct board? The reason is that you are not using HDDLF board.

You can also manually modify the environment by executing "export AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT="$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/board/a10_ref" This will make the environment changes correctly and you should be able to run "aocl install:"

0 Kudos