Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

MAC OS X

idata
Employee

Can anyone tell me does the Movidius Neural Compute Stick supports Mac OS X. Based on that I am planning to buy the stick.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

@chocks2 as of today the NCS is supported only on x86_64 systems running Ubuntu 16.04 natively and RPI V3 running raspbian. There are some discussions on the forum about running NCS SDK on virtual machines, those discussions might be a good resource for you.

NOTE: as mentioned in the other forum posts, virtual machines aren't officially supported.

iamintel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @AshwinVijayakumar,

Yesterday I received mine, and I've installed the SDK on my Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine. Currently I'm using a MBP15 with OSX 10.10.2

Because I'm facing some issues with the virtual machine (VMWare 7.1.3), I'm considering the option to try make NCS work on OSX as you did with Raspberry3

I wonder if it is theoretically possible to (1) install and (2) run the ToolKit and the API on a OSX machine.

After look into bin/setup.sh in detail I see it has 3 blocks:

1. Constants definitions, sanity check and environment configuration.

3. Software installation:

Python required packages and utils like: unzip, coreutils, curl, git, python3, python3-pip, libboost-all-dev

Caffe Framework

5. USB Device Setup

and I'm considering the option to make a new version of it to OSX, if only if as I asked above you think it could run on a OSX machine.

Cheers,

Alex
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was able to install NCS SDK on my Mac Mini using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on VirtualBox. These are the steps i followed.

1. Download and Install the latest virtual box (5.1.26)

3. Download and Install the latest virtual box extension pack (5.1.26)

5. Download the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ISO file and install the Ubuntu on Virtual Box

7. Upgrade the Ubuntu using 'sudo apt-get upgrade'

9. Download and install the NC SDK (instructions in the forum)

11. Setup USB Settings for the NCS stick to be attached to the VM

• USB2 Device Filter Details -> Vendor ID = "03e7"
  •  

• USB3 Device Filter Details -> Vendor ID = "040e"
  •  

1. Attach the Stick to your computer and the Ubuntu VM should see it. Verify using lsusb to see if you see a usb device with Vendor ID == 03e7

3. The USB controller setting should be set to USB3.0(XHCI) but the stick only worked when connected to a USB2 port on a USB hub that i had and not when connected to the USB3 port. If you only have USB3 ports try connecting the stick with a USB2 extension cable.

I tried this on Windows using VirtualBox also, but it was a lot more unstable. I had to use EHCI controller in USB settings and use a USB2 port also, but this time i had to unplug the stick after each use. But if i did that, it worked for the first DeviceOpen() after that.

Remember guys, this is not an officially supported feature. Please feel free to try the above and let me know if this works for you.

• Ramana @ Intel
  •  

USB2 Device Setting

USB3 Device Setting
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@alex in order to maintain a clean & stable release, we have chosen to officially support only Ubuntu 16.04 running natively on x86_64 machines & jessie on RPI. Quite a few members on this forum have had partial luck with virtual machines, but in order to get a good developer experience, I recommend you find an x86_64/Ubuntu. In short, I don't recommend trying to run MvNC SDK on OSX.

Another potential option to try would be to dual boot your MAC with Ubuntu, here's a reference tutorial - https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733. Please note: we have not tried this ourselves, so I do not know if and how it'll work.

iamintel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @ramana.rachakonda,

In October, when I got my Movidius, I tried to get it working on my MacBook Pro with Ubuntu and VirtualBox. Unfortunately, it did not work. I then decided to give it some time and try again. Today I saw your post, which for my surprise is from August, and after updating my VirtualBox from 5.2.0 to 5.2.2 I got it working just fine. Now all the USB ports are working and I even managed to get the Movidius working on USB3!

It's now running the examples and I'm free to have some real fun!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Wilder
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

5.1.26 has problem i updated vbox and ext to 5.1.34 and it worked like charm.so recommend to use virtualbox above 5.1.34

0 Kudos