Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Models for Security Barrier and Face Detection samples not compatible (any longer)?

Joachim_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Getting started with OpenVINO, I installed the latest System Studio and OpenVINO releases (2019.3.376) on an Ubuntu 16.04 box. User local install, i.e. not in /opt/intel. Everything installs, and the samples Security Barrier and Face Detection build with 0 errors and 0 warnings. Next, I used the downloader script to download the corresponding models:

python3 /home/user/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/model_downloader.py --name vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106, vehicle-attributes-recognition-barrier-0039,license-plate-recognition-barrier-001,face-detection-adas-0001 -o /tmp/OpenVINO

I updated the run configuration to point to input files and model references and export OPEN_VINO_DIR to the local installation directory. Now Run in System Studio

I log into localhost and the programs launch but error out as follows when loading the models (Face Detection for reference, Barrier Sample shows the same problem):

InferenceEngine: 
	API version ............ 2.1
	Build .................. custom_releases/2019/R3_ac8584cb714a697a12f1f30b7a3b78a5b9ac5e05
	Description ....... API
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Reading input
[ INFO ] Loading plugin CPU

API version ............ 2.1
	Build .................. 32974
	Description ....... MKLDNNPlugin
[ INFO ] Loading network files for Face Detection
[ INFO ] Batch size is set to 1
[ INFO ] Checking Face Detection network inputs
[ ERROR ] Data is empty!
/opt/intel/openvino_2019.1.094/deployment_tools/inference_engine/include/ie_input_info.hpp:91

Note that the .xml model file is found, but it appears at some point not read correctly along with the .bin file. I am pointing to the FP32 files, the FP16 and INT8 edition error out in the same way.

When first checking the Run configurations, I couldn't help but notice that the default file paths to the model is structured differently from what's downloaded by the downloader. I am under the impression the samples and models have drifted apart and are out of alignment and compatibility.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Joachim,

The installation instructions for Intel System Studio includes a Docker file from a previous release 2019 R1. You need to update the Download_Link to point to the latest release (2019.3.376) and update the INSTALLERDIR with the version number.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. 

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Joachim_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Jesus,

Thank you, that did the trick, the models load now!

Next problem: While the face detection model sample program works now - face detection rectangles are shown in the OpenCV output of the input source (e.g. png image, camera), the security barrier sample does not show any detections. I dialed the confidence level down to 0.15, but no luck.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Joachim,

Is the security camera barrier demo showing the image without any detection or not showing the image at all? Are you running the demo from the Intel System Studio? 

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Joachim_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, images and videos show in the cv::imshow() window, but vehicles (i.e. cars) are not detected and marked with a rectangle or otherwise.

UPDATE. I was a bit quick to jump directly to my own car pictures and videos. The demo-provided car_1.bmp works, i.e. the demo and the models are actually working as advertised. It looks like the car detection is fairly narrow for detecting cars, compared to Mobilenet's, for sure. 

0 Kudos