Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Movidius on Windows 10 with OpenVino

Brikiatis__Stephen_W

Hi there, I had been looking for the change log for the most recent release of OpenVino, and saw that it now supports the Movidius stick. I wanted to know what the easiest way to create a test sample that uses one of the sticks for an identification task would be.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephen, 

You're right, now OpenVINO supports Movidius Myriad 2 on Windows as well. We don't have identification sample, but you can try the stick with any of samples inside a package specifying "-d MYRIAD" to the command line. Preliminary you need to convert the model to FP16 using Model Optimizer (FP32 is unsupported on Movidius). 

Best wishes, 
Anna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Stephen, 

You're right, now OpenVINO supports Movidius Myriad 2 on Windows as well. We don't have identification sample, but you can try the stick with any of samples inside a package specifying "-d MYRIAD" to the command line. Preliminary you need to convert the model to FP16 using Model Optimizer (FP32 is unsupported on Movidius). 

Best wishes, 
Anna

0 Kudos
Brikiatis__Stephen_W

Great, thank you for the information.

0 Kudos
Morishige__Akihito

I want to run the interactive_face_detection_sample with Myriad. There was a error as follows when use -d MYRIAD  and FP16 command. What should I do in this case ?

InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 1.1
        Build .................. 11653
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Reading input
[ INFO ] Loading plugin MYRIAD

API version ............ 1.1
        Build .................. 11653
        Description ....... myriadPlugin
[ INFO ] Loading network files for Face Detection
[ INFO ] Batch size is set to  1
[ INFO ] Checking Face Detection inputs
[ INFO ] Checking Face Detection outputs
[ INFO ] Loading Face Detection model to the MYRIAD plugin
[ ERROR ] Can not init USB device: NC_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

0 Kudos
z__jero
Beginner

Reinstall the Movidius Myriad device driver,manually specify the “winusb“ driver 。

I ran successfully a few days ago.

good luck!

0 Kudos
Jitendra_S_Intel
Employee

I just installed R3 on Windows 10. NCS doesn't get detected.  Same app works with CPU/GPU. The NCS shows up in device manager as "VSC Loopback Device."

Please help.

C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.3.343>object_detection_demo_ssd_async -i <video> -m C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.3.343/deployment_tools/intel_models/person-vehicle-bike-detection-crossroad-0078/FP16/person-vehicle-bike-detection-crossroad-0078.xml -t 0.5 -d MYRIAD

The Control Handler is installed.
InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 1.2
        Build .................. 13911
[ INFO ] Reading input
Input width x height: 480 x 270
Is output openened? 1
[ INFO ] Loading plugin

API version ............ 1.2
        Build .................. 13911
[ INFO ] Loading network files
[ INFO ] Batch size is forced to  1.
[ INFO ] Checking that the inputs are as the sample expects
[ INFO ] Checking that the outputs are as the sample expects
[ INFO ] Loading model to the plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:682   failed to find device

C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.3.343>

0 Kudos
Shanab__Jeff
Beginner

I have tried for 2 days on windows 10 and windows 7 and I also cannot get the NCS2 to work. Now on windows 7 the usb driver itself does not seem to work on windows 10 it installs and recognizes but when it gets to calling the stick...

C:\openVINO\Deployments\Debug\crossroad_camera_demo_CPU_FP16>.\crossroad_camera_demo.exe -i inputVideo.mp4 -m person-vehicle-bike-detection-crossroad-0078.xml -m_pa person-attributes-recognition-crossroad-0031.xml -m_reid person-reidentification-retail-0079.xml -d MYRIAD
STARTING CROSSROAD DEMO
Press any key to continue . . .
InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 1.4
        Build .................. 17328
[ INFO ] Reading input
[ INFO:0] VIDEOIO: Enabled backends(6, sorted by priority): FFMPEG(1000); MSMF(990); DSHOW(980); VFW(970); CV_IMAGES(960); CV_MJPEG(950)

[ INFO ] Loading plugin CPU

Build .................. win_20181005
        Description ....... MKLDNNPlugin
[ INFO ] Loading network files for PersonDetection
[ INFO ] Batch size is forced to  1
[ INFO ] Checking Person Detection inputs
[ INFO ] Checking Person Detection outputs
[ INFO ] Loading Person Detection model to the MYRIAD plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668        failed to find device

E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668        failed to find device

..\src\vpu\myriad_plugin\myriad_executor.cpp:177
c:\intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420\deployment_tools\inference_engine\include\details/ie_exception_conversion.hpp:81

0 Kudos
Joel_E_
Beginner

Hi Jeff,

I'm running on Windows 10 too, downloaded the latest version R4 and can confirm that it is running. On my Windows 10 it is detected as "Movidius MyriadX" is it the same with you?

You can also try the instructions here if it helps: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-Install-Windows#inpage-nav-4-2

Regards,

Joel

0 Kudos
van_der_Westen__Mars

Hello Jeff and Joel,

I am running on Windows 10 too, latest R4. It runs on my CPU but not on the stick. So same problems. It cannot find the device. It is visible in devicemanager as Movidius MyriadX. It loads the plugin for Myriad. See below for the stack.
I followed your link Joel, no luck there.
Any suggestions?

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:
[ INFO ] Capturing video streams from the cameras
[ INFO ] Number of input web cams:    1
[ INFO ] Trying to connect 1 web cams ...
[ INFO:0] VIDEOIO: Enabled backends(6, sorted by priority): FFMPEG(1000); MSMF(990); DSHOW(980); VFW(970); CV_IMAGES(960); CV_MJPEG(950)
[ INFO ] Number of input channels:    1
[ INFO ] Vehicle Attribs detection DISABLED
[ INFO ] License Plate Recognition detection DISABLED

[ INFO ] Loading network files for VehicleDetection
[ INFO ] Batch size is forced to  1
[ INFO ] Checking Vehicle Detection inputs
[ INFO ] Checking Vehicle Detection outputs
[ INFO ] Loading Vehicle Detection model to the MYRIAD plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668        failed to find device

[ WARN:0] terminating async callback

Regards!!!

0 Kudos
kasper_v_
Beginner

Hi

I am getting the same problem with the NCS V1 and I have tried it on 3 different machines running Windows 10.

The device is recognized as "Movidius MA2X5X", but all demo applications give 

[35mE: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668   failed to find device

On my Linux machine it seems to work fine.

Is the NCS 1 not supported on Windows?

Best regards,
Kasper

0 Kudos
lou__llyl
Beginner

macos virtuvalbox 

E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668    failed to find device

what' wrong ?

0 Kudos
Tkach__Sergey
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem (NCS V2, Windows 10 - VM Parallels)

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:         API version ............ 1.4         Build .................. 17328 [ INFO ] Parsing input parameters [ INFO ] Capturing video streams from the video files or loading images [ INFO ] Files were added: 1 [ INFO ]     f:/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/car_1.bmp [ INFO ] Number of input image files: 1 [ INFO ] Number of input video files: 0 [ INFO ] Number of input channels:    1 [ INFO ] Loading plugin MYRIAD         API version ............ 1.4         Build .................. 17328         Description ....... myriadPlugin [ INFO ] Loading network files for VehicleDetection [ INFO ] Batch size is forced to  1 [ INFO ] Checking Vehicle Detection inputs [ INFO ] Checking Vehicle Detection outputs [ INFO ] Loading Vehicle Detection model to the MYRIAD plugin ←[35mE: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668   failed to find device ←[0m [ ERROR ] Can not init USB device: NC_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND

Help PLS

0 Kudos
Ikeda__Naoki
Beginner
I also encountered the same issue. According to the page below, " The driver should be installed after the device is booted by the Inference Engine MYRIAD Plugin". https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/OpenVINO-Install-Windows#Optional_Steps I couldn't understand how do I install after booting the plugin. And I realized there's no instruction for NCS v2 on Windows so far... https://software.intel.com/en-us/neural-compute-stick/get-started
0 Kudos
iqbal__fiaraz
Beginner

Had similar issues.  The simple solution:. When ncs2 on Ubuntu not recognised, .unplug and replug.  On windows 10 w by into bios and adjusted usb settings now forgive me as it's been a few weeks it was the immo settings and all worked.  Sorry if I am being vague we are using the ncs2 with secondary students and learning as we go along! 

0 Kudos
jjacq3
Beginner

Hello,

I try to run classification_sample example include in openvino distribution on windows10 with my NCS V1.

For that I regenerate xml and bin files with data_type FP16.

But when I ran the following executable :

classification_sample.exe -d "MYRIAD" -i D:\MOVIDIUS\intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420\deployment_tools\demo\car.png -m D:\MOVIDIUS\intel\OpenVINO\models\ir\squeezenet\squeezenetFP16.xml ,

I have the following messages :

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:
[ INFO ] Files were added: 1
[ INFO ]     D:\MOVIDIUS\intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.4.420\deployment_tools\demo\car.png
[ INFO ] Loading plugin

[ INFO ] Loading network files:
        D:\MOVIDIUS\intel\OpenVINO\models\ir\squeezenet\squeezenetFP16.xml
        D:\MOVIDIUS\intel\OpenVINO\models\ir\squeezenet\squeezenetFP16.bin
[ INFO ] Preparing input blobs
[ WARNING ] Image is resized from (787, 259) to (227, 227)
[ INFO ] Batch size is 1
[ INFO ] Preparing output blobs
[ INFO ] Loading model to the plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:668   failed to find device

I have followed the instruction to install the stick without success.

See the attached file to have the device manager configuration.

So what can I do to use the NCS v1 with openvino R4 release ?

In fact I would like to use 4 sticks in parallel .

Thanks for help.

JJ

0 Kudos
jjacq3
Beginner

hello,

Just to complete the last comment,

When I ran the demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.bat with modifying the target with MYRIAD, the demo is successful.

So what is the difference between the files *.bat of the demo directory and the generation of the samples with create_msvc2017_solution.bat ?

Thanks a lot for explanation if exist.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Ikeda__Naoki
Beginner
Hello jacques, jerome, > When I ran the demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.bat with modifying the target with MYRIAD, the demo is successful. Your post was very helpful for my environment. The file below should be called before calling the execution file. C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.5.445\bin\setupvars.bat note: My environment has been moved to R5 As you know, the execution file itself can be run without calling the batch file(setupvars.bat) to set appropriate dlls in the directory. However it seems the execution file(classification_sample.exe) and inference_engine.dll requres you to run setupvars.bat. So all you need is to call "C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.5.445\bin\setupvars.bat" before running the target execution file. I think you need to call "call" command to run the batch file expressly. call C:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.5.445\bin\setupvars.bat
0 Kudos
Shanab__Jeff
Beginner

I still cannot see how they claim this device works on windows 10. I not seen even one demo tutorial etc where windows is shown. The most I can get out of it is 3.6 fps on the crossroads infernece. 

The device is rated at 100 gFLOPS and the model less than 4. The CPU runs 48fps (fps above 30 is not important but must finish before next frame arrives)

While a few people has said it works there has not been any numbers to back it up.

This lead me to investigate if the USB is a bottle neck and it looks like there is a problem with the driver on windows 10. It shows the device and I used usbtree to see that it reports as usb 2.0 plugged into the a usb 3.0 port

If you watch during the inference the device disappears off of port 5, and a VSC loopback shows up on port 16. Then it switches back on completion of inference.

At 1/10 the speed of the CPU it is of no use.

My plan was to release some software for linux,linux arm and windows using this and the pcie card with 8 on it if I can get them in quantity. Unless this is solved, I am looking for other options.

There is also a plethera of issues with their entire deployment.

1) 64bit install in ProgramFiles (x86)

2) models downloader to program files subdir but samples build to documents folder

3) Very long path names which break path without changes to group policy

4) Shortcuts which are NOT symlinks and do not work like them in windows, Cannot copy or use in paths

5) Optomizer places FP16 and FP32 under each model, have to copy them out 1 at a time

6) setupvars.bat. Do not use reserved filename that you cannot put in a path. do not require it's use which of course must be form a command line.

7) python dependencies are super strict, but install assumes requires system python. sheesh.

8) paths are long, overlappingly cryptic and all over the place but all change on each version.

9) names are unique, but libs are separated into release and debug folders. What another #$@$ thicg to add to path? 

Ask me where to install

Give me a typical lib,bin,include,models,scripts structure

I could go on but I think the point is clear. everything except the scripted example is scatter-brained.

0 Kudos