Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Multi Processing in NCS2

HesamSH
New Contributor I

I have problem figuring out how networks and multi processing work in NCS2 devices. 

The OpenVINO Documentation explicitly says:

Single device cannot be shared across multiple processes.

However, in the same document it is stated:

The maximum number of networks single device can handle depends on device memory capacity and the size of the networks.

Also, the IECore class has a method called load_network which in its description it is stated:

You can create as many networks as you need and use them simultaneously (up to the limitation of the hardware resources).

So the question is, how could the device load multiple networks simultaneously and not support multi processing. Also, how could multiple processes be loaded on a single NCS2?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peh_Intel

Hello HesamSH,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

In my perspective, this statement: Single device cannot be shared across multiple processes means Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (NCS2) is only able to carry out a demo at the same time but it can load multiple networks simultaneously in a demo. To verify these, I carried out Interactive Face Detection C++ Demo with NCS2. The demo able to run by loading face-detection-adas-0001 and emotions-recognition-retail-0003 models to MYRIAD plugin.

Next, I carried out two demos with NCS2 in two different terminals. The first demo works fine but the second demo will fail to run due to cannot initialize Myriad device. For your information, I repeated the same testing with CPU plugin and both the demos can be run at the same time.

Regards,

Peh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hello HesamSH,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

In my perspective, this statement: Single device cannot be shared across multiple processes means Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (NCS2) is only able to carry out a demo at the same time but it can load multiple networks simultaneously in a demo. To verify these, I carried out Interactive Face Detection C++ Demo with NCS2. The demo able to run by loading face-detection-adas-0001 and emotions-recognition-retail-0003 models to MYRIAD plugin.

Next, I carried out two demos with NCS2 in two different terminals. The first demo works fine but the second demo will fail to run due to cannot initialize Myriad device. For your information, I repeated the same testing with CPU plugin and both the demos can be run at the same time.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hello HesamSH,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided answers. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos