Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

NCS v2 24/7

whatthisismyname
Beginner

Is it ok to run the NCS v2 24/7? will this burn it too fast?
for example a security camera can you leave it there running all day/week/month/year with no concerns?
Or will this reduce the life spam of the device to pretty short?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Cary_P_Intel1
Employee

Hi, Daniel,

The NCS2 device is a developer kit type of device and as such isn’t validated for 24/7 usage in a production environment. Although few of the customers tested with similar scenario and didn't hear about issue, I still recommend you to do the burning test with the production level products from out Vision Accelerator Products partners, please refer to the link below for the available providers.

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/10/intel-vision-acclerator-design-products-customer-quote-sheet.pdf

0 Kudos
whatthisismyname
Beginner

Thanks for the answer but i want to built my own, rather than purchase one.
I will do motion detection and use the NCS when i got movement so it can rest most of the time.

0 Kudos
AGaru
Beginner

Cary P. (Intel) wrote:
The NCS2 device is a developer kit type of device and as such isn’t validated for 24/7 usage in a production environment. 

I was surprised :) If it's not a production device, which one is a production device then?

Thanks for answer in advance

0 Kudos