Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

OpenVINO Mac OSX - Intel GPU Not supported?

raymondlo84
New Contributor I

Does the OpenVINO officially support Intel GPUs in Mac OSX environment? When I try listing the available devices only CPU shows up. I have the Macbook 16 inch with Intel UHD Graphics 630 built-in. Thank you. 

raylo@Raymonds-MacBook-Pro demos % python3
Python 3.7.9 (default, Sep  9 2020, 00:09:07)
[Clang 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.32.62)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from openvino.inference_engine import IECore
>>> ie = IECore()
>>> print(ie.available_devices)  # prints ['CPU']
['CPU']
>>> exit()

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rizal_Intel

Hi Raymond,

Currently, as of 2020.4 OpenVINO does not officially support Intel GPUs in Mac OSX environment.

According to the system requirement,

Intel® Iris® Pro & Intel® HD Graphics is only supported for

• Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (64 bit)
  • Windows 10 (64 bit)
  • CentOS 7.4 (64 bit)

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
raymondlo84
New Contributor I

How about running OpenVINO on VMware or similar? Any suggestions around that? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Raymond,

I've ran OpenVINO inside VirtualBox on the Mac Mini.

The GPU plugin could not be run.

It looks like the virtual machine would also require that the Host OS to support GPU plugin implementation for the VM to access it.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Raymond,

Intel will no longer monitor this thread since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
andreped
Beginner

Are you planning on adding GPU support for macOS in the near future? Any update on this? We are currently developing softwares that utilize OpenVINO, and there is a lot of end users that have macOS.

EDIT: I guess one of the reasons as to why GPU support might not be added for macOS is that Apple has dropped the support for OpenGL and OpenCL. They still offer some OpenCL/OpenGL versions with new macbooks, but AFAIK OpenVINO is using a much newer version of OpenCL. However, it would be nice to know for certain.

0 Kudos