Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Possibility of SIFT Operations on an NCS2

Mohammed__Nadeem

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to implement a SIFT detection program on a Raspberry Pi 4. I was wondering if there is a possibility to offload computation to NCS2 or optimize computations with OpenVINO library. Any suggestions are welcomed. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rizal_Intel

Hi Nadeem,

The NCS2 executes neural network implementations. Most if not all the implementation of Scale Invariant Feature Transform (SIFT) implementation I searched is implemented as a normal library. Therefore, you need to translate or implement the SIFT program using a neural network template or framework such as Caffe, Tensorflow or Pytorch.

We couldn't say it is practical to offload a SIFT implementation workload to the NCS2.

I would recommend just running it using OpenCV on the CPU.

Regards,

Rizal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rizal_Intel

Hi Nadeem,

The NCS2 executes neural network implementations. Most if not all the implementation of Scale Invariant Feature Transform (SIFT) implementation I searched is implemented as a normal library. Therefore, you need to translate or implement the SIFT program using a neural network template or framework such as Caffe, Tensorflow or Pytorch.

We couldn't say it is practical to offload a SIFT implementation workload to the NCS2.

I would recommend just running it using OpenCV on the CPU.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Mohammed__Nadeem

Thank you Rizal for your reply!

OpenCV that comes with OpenVINO does not have OpenCV Contrib modules such as xfeatures2d which includes SIFT. I'm trying to implement a project which requires SIFT even when OpenVINO environment is initialized. 

I tried to implement a suggestion from a thread in this forum, but that does not seem to solve my issue.

Do you have any inputs that would help me implement this project?

Best,

Nadeem

0 Kudos