Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Removing the tendrils: Simple Hello World demo without extra libraries?

Trahms__Rob
Beginner

Interested in a basic-basic-basic Visual Studio (C++) example for windows that is fairly self-contained (only uses inference_library.lib and the necessary plugin library) and can read local .bin/.xml IR files to implement a neural network.  Seems like all the demos have LOTS of dependencies on paths, extra libraries, python scripts - and not in a good way. 

Are there examples like this?  If so, where?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dearest Rob, I understand why you may want this but we don't have such a self-contained sample as you describe today. 

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Trahms__Rob
Beginner

I don't understand why.  This seems like the most basic of tutorials that would help adoption of this framework.  I have not seen a lot of simple examples available, and am not sure why I am having the problems I am having.  A simple 'ground truth' application might go a LONG way to answering key questions.  I am positive I am not alone in this request.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Rob, have you taken a look at the open source version of OpenVino here ?

https://github.com/opencv/dldt

OpenVino does officially support  CMake integration. So if you would like to write  your own application you simply need to create a CMake project and just call find_package(InferenceEngine) inside (similarly how it's done for the samples). And in this case all the includes and libraries are available by InferenceEngine_INCLUDE and _LIBRARIES correspondingly. But even in this case the OpenVino application writer should configure InferenceEngine_DIR accordingly (pointing to the folder with InferenceEngineConfig.cmake). The steps are actually described in the following page of our open source repo (“Adding to your project” section):

https://github.com/opencv/dldt/blob/2018/inference-engine/README.md

Hope it helps and thanks for using OpenVino !

Shubha

0 Kudos