Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

intel openvino performance on xeon server

Macheeti__Sudhir
Beginner

HI,

We have tested benchmark application i7 & xeon e5-2620 server. Here are the results

i7 results -

[ INFO ] Latency: 12.6197 ms
[ INFO ] Throughput: 79.2411 FPS

Xeon e5-2620 results - 

[ INFO ] Latency: 18.3562 ms
[ INFO ] Throughput: 54.4776 FPS

Not sure why performance of xeon server is lesser than i7. Do we need to fine tune any parameters for xeon server?

Appreciate any help to improve the performance on xeon server.

Xeon server details are attached.

Regards,

Sudhir

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Sudir it's very difficult to diagnose exactly why the benchmark app runs faster on an I5 versus I7. There are many variables involved such as memory configuration, OS version, kernel version, UEFI/BIOS settings, etc...It is impossible to make a general statement without knowing more.

However, one way to figure it out is to use performance tools (Intel has many to offer but there are also open source tools available) to see where the bottlenecks are in each configuration, then compare and contrast your findings.

Shubha

0 Kudos
Hyodo__Katsuya
Innovator

Although I am not an Intel expert, it was a topic of great interest, so I examined the processor differences a little bit.

E5-2620

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64594/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2620-15m-cache-2-00-ghz-7-20-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

i7-6700

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88196/intel-core-i7-6700-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

Processor Base Frequency:i7 (3.40 GHz) > Xeon (2.00 GHz)

Bus Speed:i7 (8 GT/s DMI3) > Xeon (7.2 GT/s QPI)

Number of processors:i7 (x1) < Xeon (x2)

# of Threads:i7 (x8) < Xeon (x12)

I am also very interesting about what is affecting performance.

0 Kudos
Macheeti__Sudhir
Beginner

Hello Shubha,

Can you please suggest what is the recommended HW for large scale deployment?  

Thanks,

Sudhir

0 Kudos
Bonastre__Yair
Beginner

I’m also very interested to know which is the best HW for a large scale deployment using OpenVino.

• Xenon?
  • PCI-e with many MyriadX?
  • FPGA?
  • Future discrete intel GPU?
  • i7/i9?

Thanks,

Yair Bonastre

0 Kudos