Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

macOS support?

chen__ives
Beginner

Hello,

Since Apple Mac series are equipped with brand new Intel Core CPUs, do you have any plan to release OpenVINO for macOS?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
marquis__renaud
Beginner

That would be great! Most new Mac models lack NVIDIA graphic cards. Moreover, most deep learning libraries lack support for OpenCL. In my opinion there is definitely a gap you can fill with macOS users.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Ives and Marquis,

We are focusing on the current platform to make a solid product now, currently we are looking at the requirement on the Mac side.

What kind of release do you want, binary release like we do it now or open source project?

Mark

0 Kudos
chen__ives
Beginner

Hi Mark,

Binary release is sufficient. We currently develop cross-platform software on Windows and macOS, so we hope that our software can leverage OpenVINO's powerful inference engine on both platform.

Thank you

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mark,

I would also love to see an OpenVINO macOS version. Modern Macs have Intel CPUs with integrated graphics, and therefore, I think it makes sense to have an OpenVINO version for macOS.

In addition, I would live to use the Movidius Neural Compute Stick with macOS. ;)

0 Kudos
nikos1
Valued Contributor I

+1

We are also developing cross-platform software on Windows and macOS and would love to have OpenVino macOS support.

0 Kudos
Kang__June
Beginner

Hello, Mark,

Today I tried to install OpenVINO in MacOS High Sierra.

I found some lines for MacOS platforms, but without actual files in install.sh as below.

Is there any plan for release MacOS binary or compilable sources?

pset_engine_folder="$fullpath/pset/$my_arch"
    if [ "$(uname)" = "Darwin" ]; then
        pset_config_folder="`cd "$fullpath/../Resources/pset";pwd;cd - > /dev/null 2>/dev/null`"
        pset_engine_folder="$fullpath/../MacOS"

0 Kudos
Kang__June
Beginner

I checked the installer bash script, and there are some Darwin check lines. (but lack of actual folders it referenced.)

Is there any clear plan to support macOS?

Bests,

J.

0 Kudos