Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

object detection zoo resnet v50 fpn coco failing after transfer learning

Connolly__John
Beginner

I downloaded the ssd_resnet_v50 fpn network from tensorflow,, and then ran the mo_tf.py script that comes packaged with openvino 

with the following input args

python3 /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/mo_tf.py \
--saved_model_dir ~//Downloads/resnet/ssd_resnet50_v1_fpn_shared_box_predictor_640x640_coco14_sync_2018_07_03/saved_model \
--tensorflow_object_detection_api_pipeline_config ~//Downloads/resnet/ssd_resnet50_v1_fpn_shared_box_predictor_640x640_coco14_sync_2018_07_03/pipeline.config \
--tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/extensions/front/tf/ssd_v2_support.json \
--reverse_input_channels

and everything worked like a charm.

I then used the object detection api to do transfer learning on this stock model. I converted my stock model wtih the script at models/research/object_detection/export_inference_graph.py

Then I tried again to convert to openvino using the following command: 

python3 /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/mo_tf.py \

--saved_model_dir ~/old_models/v21/saved_model/ \

--tensorflow_object_detection_api_pipeline_config ~/old_models/v21/pipeline.config \

--tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config ~/old_models/v21/ssd_v2_support.json \

--reverse_input_channels

and now I get the following error output:

[ ERROR ]  Failed to match nodes from custom replacement description with id 'ObjectDetectionAPIPreprocessorReplacement':
It means model and custom replacement description are incompatible.
Try to correct custom replacement description according to documentation with respect to model node names
[ ERROR ]  Failed to match nodes from custom replacement description with id 'ObjectDetectionAPISSDPostprocessorReplacement':
It means model and custom replacement description are incompatible.
Try to correct custom replacement description according to documentation with respect to model node names
[ ERROR ]  Cannot infer shapes or values for node "Postprocessor/BatchMultiClassNonMaxSuppression/MultiClassNonMaxSuppression/Select_4".
[ ERROR ]  
[ ERROR ]  
[ ERROR ]  It can happen due to bug in custom shape infer function <function Select.infer at 0x7fa50799fd08>.
[ ERROR ]  Or because the node inputs have incorrect values/shapes.
[ ERROR ]  Or because input shapes are incorrect (embedded to the model or passed via --input_shape).
[ ERROR ]  Run Model Optimizer with --log_level=DEBUG for more information.
[ ERROR ]  Exception occurred during running replacer "REPLACEMENT_ID" (<class 'extensions.middle.PartialInfer.PartialInfer'>): Stopped shape/value propagation at "Postprocessor/BatchMultiClassNonMaxSuppression/MultiClassNonMaxSuppression/Select_4" node. 
 For more information please refer to Model Optimizer FAQ (https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_MO_DG_prepare_model_Model_Optimizer_FAQ.html), question #38. 

I have tried with the ssd_v2_support.json and ssd_support_api_v1.14.json, neither succeed. 

I am using pytthon3.6 with tensorflow 1.14 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Connolly, John,

Can you try adding:

"Postprocessor/BatchMultiClassNonMaxSuppression/MultiClassNonMaxSuppression/Select_4"

right after   "Postprocessor/ToFloat" in your ssd_v2_support.json ?

"start_points": [
                "Postprocessor/Shape",
                "Postprocessor/scale_logits",
                "Postprocessor/Tile",
                "Postprocessor/Reshape_1",
                "Postprocessor/ToFloat",             
"Postprocessor/BatchMultiClassNonMaxSuppression/MultiClassNonMaxSuppression/Select_4"
            ]

You didn't attach the full debug log so I'm not sure exactly where it fits in. You'd be able to tell by perusing the log with the following switch --log_level DEBUG.

Let me know if this works for you.

Shubha

0 Kudos
Connolly__John
Beginner

Thank you for the prompt feedback. Unfortunately that did not work for me - I have attached the debug output from this attempt. 

You didn't attach the full debug log so I'm not sure exactly where it fits in. You'd be able to tell by perusing the log with the following switch --log_level DEBUG.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean here, could you explain what should be fitting where?

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Connolly, John,

In fact, the file you attached is the DEBUG log print obtained by passing in --log_level DEBUG. Thank you for that. I really think this may be a Model Optimizer bug, based on what you have told me. Before training, no problems, MO worked like a charm. After training, it broke. Yep, I've seen this before. And the reason it happens is because the Tensorflow model changes underneath us. I have PM'd you so that you can privately send me your trained model. 

We'll definitely get back to you with an answer and hopefully a solution also.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for using OpenVino !

Shubha

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Connolly, John,

I have reproduced your issue and filed a bug. I will definitely update you once a resolution has been found. 

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear John and everyone, it looks like John was able to succeed with the attached revised *.json file. If anyone else runs into the same issue as John, feel free to use this json file for the -tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config argument.

Thanks !

Shubha

0 Kudos