Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

"Can not init USB device: NC_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND" with MYRIAD

DaveW
Beginner

Hi,

I am testing my NCStick in Ubuntu 16.04 on virtualbox 5.2.12. Following the post to modified the example but got a NCS initialization error:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/computer-vision/topic/781087

I have re-generated a new squeezenet1.1 model with FP16, and modified parameters in "demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh" bash file.

Here is the log:

###################################################

Run Inference Engine classification sample

Run ./classification_sample -d MYRIAD -i /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.300/deployment_tools/demo/../demo/car.png -m /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.300/deployment_tools/demo/../demo/ir/squeezenet1.1/squeezenet1.1.xml

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine: 
API version ............ 1.1
Build .................. 11653
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Loading plugin

Description ....... myriadPlugin
[ INFO ] Loading network files:
/opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.300/deployment_tools/demo/../demo/ir/squeezenet1.1/squeezenet1.1.xml
/opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.300/deployment_tools/demo/../demo/ir/squeezenet1.1/squeezenet1.1.bin
[ INFO ] Preparing input blobs
[ WARNING ] Image is resized from (787, 259) to (227, 227)
[ INFO ] Batch size is 1
[ INFO ] Preparing output blobs
[ INFO ] Loading model to the plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:636 failed to find device

[ ERROR ] Can not init USB device: NC_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
Error on or near line 201; exiting with status 1

I tried to install the USB rules again but it could not solve the problem. I also tested another model file that I generated, it got the same initialization problem.

After the executing error, I found that dropbox displayed NCStick from "Movidius Ltd. Movidius MA2X5X [0001]" into "Intel Corporation VSC Loopback Device [0100]". I need to re-plugin NCStick to solve the problem. Sometimes it could mess up other USB connection so that I cannot use my keyboard typing in dropbox/Ubuntu environment.

Could anyone give me any suggestion?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Seunghyuk_P_Intel

Hi DaveW,

Can you setup Movidious driver for Windows following instruction and try again from virtualbox?

<your openvino installation directory>/deployment_tools/documentation/PluginMyriad.html

If you can't find "PluginMyriad.html", please go to c:\intel\computer_vision_sdk_xxxx\deployment_tools\documentation.

And please open "index.html" with google chrome or internet explorer.

Please look for "MYRIAD" and click.

You should setup Movidius driver manually in Windows.

Regards,

Peter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DaveW
Beginner

I installed OpenVINO on my host Windows 10 machine and duplicated the procedure (including modifying .bat file) to run the executable today. Still got a similar problem.

###############|| Run Inference Engine classification sample ||###############

Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...
        1 file(s) copied.
classification_sample.exe -i "c:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.304\deployment_tools\demo\\..\demo\car.png" -m "c:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.304\deployment_tools\demo\\..\demo\ir\squeezenet1.1.xml" -d MYRIAD
[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Loading plugin

Description ....... myriadPlugin
[ INFO ] Loading network files:
        c:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.304\deployment_tools\demo\\..\demo\ir\squeezenet1.1.xml
        c:\Intel\computer_vision_sdk_2018.2.304\deployment_tools\demo\\..\demo\ir\squeezenet1.1.bin
[ INFO ] Preparing input blobs
[ WARNING ] Image is resized from (787, 259) to (227, 227)
[ INFO ] Batch size is 1
[ INFO ] Preparing output blobs
[ INFO ] Loading model to the plugin
E: [ncAPI] [         0] ncDeviceOpen:636   failed to find device

[ ERROR ] Can not init USB device: NC_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
Error

I monitored my NCStick in Windows "Bluetooth and other devices" while running the executable. NCStick found as "Movidius MA2X5X" originally became "VSC Loopback Device (Driver is unavailable)" again. Seems the stick was disconnected and detected as a unrecognized device. 
By the way, my NCStick works fine for NCSDK and NCAppzoo examples in my Ubuntu virtual machine. I am using Lenovo ThinkPad P52s Labtop Win10 as host machine.
Could anyone help me to solve the issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Dave, 

Did you set up USB rules as described here?

Best wishes, 

Anna

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi Anna,

Yes. Before running the example, I had set up USB rules on my Ubuntu virtual machine. Do I need to also set up it on my host Windows machine? 

It seems that my NCStick was detected normally when plugging in to both environments. However, something went wrong at the initialization stage.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi,

Could anyone give some suggestion? I have no idea how to deal with the problem. Is it a hardware compatible issue? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Seunghyuk_P_Intel

Hi DaveW,

Can you setup Movidious driver for Windows following instruction and try again from virtualbox?

<your openvino installation directory>/deployment_tools/documentation/PluginMyriad.html

If you can't find "PluginMyriad.html", please go to c:\intel\computer_vision_sdk_xxxx\deployment_tools\documentation.

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi SEUNGHYUK,

Thanks for your information. By following the instruction of updating driver in Windows, now the example can run on Movidius NCStick in my Windows 10 environment. 

Just provide an additional information, in my Win10, there was one more step to select device between picture-2 (browse software driver on computer) and picture-3 (select driver) when updating driver. NCStick is in "Universal Serial Bus Device".

SEUNGHYUK P. (Intel) wrote:

Hi DaveW,

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi SEUNGHYUK,

Excuse me for bothering you again. I found that it still didn't work on my Ubuntu virtual machine.

USB rule and adding to users group were all set. After the first execution, NCStick changed detected name into "VSC Loopback Device" again. In the situation, I can solve it by updating driver in Windows. However, I don't know how to provide a similar way to do so in Ubuntu. Is there a similar method to update driver in Linux??

All my works are done in Ubuntu so I really hope NCStick can work in Linux.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Seunghyuk_P_Intel

Hi DaveW,

Good to hear that you found solution in windows.

Did you install and setup virtual env after you setup NCStick USB rules?

If not, can you keep the sequence?

Enable NCStick and install virtual machine.

I have a question.

Why don't you do not use virtual machine and test from real machine for now?

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi Peter,

What kind of installation and setup I need to do in Linux virtual machine for the NCStick?

I've enable USB 3.0 and added USB filter from Virtualbox setting so that my virtual machine can detect NCStick and successfully run NCSDK/NCAppzoo examples in Ubuntu. OpenVINO example can also execute with CPU as inference machine.

I am working on developing a neuron network and deploying it into a standalone platform (like Raspberry Pi). NCStick as an accelerator for inference is necessary because platforms might be too slow. However, I just found a post:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/computer-vision/topic/781076

Doesthat mean I cannot install OpenVINO in Raspberry Pi and use API on the platform loading data into NCStick??

Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Dave,

Here are the following instructions to get the virtual machine working with the NCStick.

Theoretically, you could if you had the proper libraries needed but this hasn't been tested as this isn't part of our supported hardware types that have been tested.

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
DaveW
Beginner

Hi Monique,

Thanks for your link. That instruction is useful for setting up the NCStick with NCSDK. I also followed that in my 1st installation. Hence, my NCStick can run NCAppzoo examples with NCSDK in virtual machine (Ubuntu) successfully.

However, once I used OpenVINO API to initial NCStick. My NCStick became unrecognized after OpenVINO tried to access it. In the situation, NCSDK also could not access to the stick.

The way Peter provided to me above exactly solved the problem in Windows 10: When NCStick becoming unrecognized, we can update its driver manually. Then, Windows 10 recognizes NCStick forever and everything works fine. Nevertheless, it's not the same in Linux virtual machine. Once VirtualBox is running, USB devices use VirtualBox driver instead of its own driver. I couldn't update driver in the manner because devices need virtual box driver to be plugged into virtual machine. Hope someone has the idea to solve it.

By the way, is that OpenVINO doesn't support Raspberry Pi (ARM structure)? I would like to double check this. If it is true, I might need to stop here and think another way to do.

Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos