Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

How to enable kernel crash dump on ECI 3.0(Debian Distribution)

bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I'm using Intel ECI 3.0(Debian Distribution, LTS PREEMPT_RT kernel 5.10.115-rt67-intel-ese-standard-lts-rt+, Installed by using ECI deb packages),
and I would like to enable kernel crash dump to dump whatever is in RAM (memory) to disk when the execution of the Linux kernel is halted or crashed.

I checked the kernel config parameters and It seem that the LTS PREEMPT_RT kernel doesn't suport kernel crash dump:
          # CONFIG_KEXEC is not set
          # CONFIG_KEXEC_FILE is not set
          # CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP is not set

So, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to active kernel crash dump on Intel ECI 3.0 ?
And in case I have to change the kernel config parameters for support kernel crash dump, please advise me how to change these parameters.

Best regards

BUI

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lay
Employee

Hi,

Please refer 

https://eci.intel.com/docs/3.0.1/development/eci_build_engine.html

Step 4: Start a bitbake Environment

Please try the following

./setup.sh

KAS_CONTAINER_IMAGE=jammy-kas-isar:3.0.2 ./kas-container --git-credential-store ${HOME}/.git-credentials shell targets/kas/eci-packages-bullseye.yml

#add your kernel config

vi /work/targets/layers/meta-tgr/meta-eci-isar/recipes-kernel/linux/files/amd64_5.10_intel_defconfig

bitbake linux-intel-rt -c cleansstate && bitbake linux-intel-rt
exit

#obtain the deb package and install

build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-headers-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb
build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-image-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb
build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb

Best Regards,

Lay

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi BUI,

I've been looking through the ECI documentation and I'm not seeing anything related to enabling kdump. Let me reach out to the development team for additional assistance. I will let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Lay
Employee

Hi,

Please refer 

https://eci.intel.com/docs/3.0.1/development/eci_build_engine.html

Step 4: Start a bitbake Environment

Please try the following

./setup.sh

KAS_CONTAINER_IMAGE=jammy-kas-isar:3.0.2 ./kas-container --git-credential-store ${HOME}/.git-credentials shell targets/kas/eci-packages-bullseye.yml

#add your kernel config

vi /work/targets/layers/meta-tgr/meta-eci-isar/recipes-kernel/linux/files/amd64_5.10_intel_defconfig

bitbake linux-intel-rt -c cleansstate && bitbake linux-intel-rt
exit

#obtain the deb package and install

build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-headers-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb
build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-image-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb
build/eci-packages-bullseye/tmp/work/eci-bullseye-amd64/linux-intel-xenomai/5.10.140-4/linux-intel-xenomai_5.10.140-bullseye-4_amd64.deb

Best Regards,

Lay

bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hello, Lay.

Thank you for your quick response!

I am building new deb packages following your advise, and I will update once I have some more questions.

Best Regards,
Bui

0 Kudos
bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi Lay, Jesus

I have built a new kernel deb packages with kernel crash dump suported config parameters following your advise, and It work well.

So I would like to close this topic here. Thank you very much for your kindly support.

Best regards

Bui

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

0 Kudos