Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

RuntimeError: Failed to create plugin for device GPU

Lucho
New Contributor I

Hi,

Working with EII 2.6.2 and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU.

I'm having problems to execute PySafetyGear customUdf Analytics with GPU. Error:

RuntimeError: Failed to create plugin /opt/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/inference_engine/lib/intel64/libclDNNPlugin.so for device GPU

install_NEO_OCL_driver.sh script executed through analytics Dockerfile.

It seems to be related to a permission problem. If I change user to root, analytics works as expected, but not with EII_USER.

EII_USER added to video and render group, and it doesn't fix the problem.

Same error with 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1145GRE CPU.

logs attached.

Thanks and Regards,

Luciano

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

As I previously mentioned, I was not able to reproduce the issue on my 9th Gen system. However, I did see the error on the 11th Gen system. Upgrading the Kernel to 5.8 and installing the Intel Graphics Driver 20.43.18277 solved the issue. Can you try upgrading the Kernel to 5.8 and installing the driver using these instructions to see if it also address the issue on your side?

As for you other system, what kernel and graphics driver are you using? I installed Edge Insights for Industrial 2.6.2 on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 system and did the following to get the SafetyGear UDF to run. I am attaching my config files as well. 

Also, when installing EII did you install as root or regular user?

#Backup default config files
mv <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json.bkup

mv <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json.bkup

#copy UDF to common dir
cp -r <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/CustomUdfs/PySafetyGearAnalytics/safety_gear <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/common/video/udfs/python

#copy test video to test_videos dir
cp <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/CustomUdfs/PySafetyGearIngestion/Safety_Full_Hat_and_Vest.avi <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/test_videos/Safety_Full_Hat_and_Vest.avi

#copy attached config files to VideoIngestion and VideoAnalytics
cp config-VideoIngestion.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json

cp config-VideoAnalytics.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json

#provision and build
python3 builder.py -f usecases/video-streaming-all-udfs.yml
cd <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/build
cd provision && sudo -E ./provision.sh ../docker-compose.yml
cd .. && docker-compose -f docker-compose-build.yml build

#run sample
docker-compose up -d
xhost +

Regards,

Jesus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

I am looking into this, however, I am running into an installation issue so I will need to check with the team.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Lucho
New Contributor I

Any help will be appreciated @JesusE_Intel .

Regards,

Luciano

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

Apologies for the delay, I'm not able to see the error message on my system (Intel Core 9th Gen). I just got access an 11th gen system to test this. Could you share your [working_dir]/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json and [working_dir]/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json files?

Also, there are additional steps for 11th Gen GPU's, have you completed these steps?

https://open-edge-insights.github.io/pages/video.html#to-run-on-intel-r-processor-graphics-gpu-igpu

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Lucho
New Contributor I

The problem is with PySafetyGear customUdf Analytics, We have only modify the device. configs attached.

Regards,

Luciano

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

As I previously mentioned, I was not able to reproduce the issue on my 9th Gen system. However, I did see the error on the 11th Gen system. Upgrading the Kernel to 5.8 and installing the Intel Graphics Driver 20.43.18277 solved the issue. Can you try upgrading the Kernel to 5.8 and installing the driver using these instructions to see if it also address the issue on your side?

As for you other system, what kernel and graphics driver are you using? I installed Edge Insights for Industrial 2.6.2 on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 system and did the following to get the SafetyGear UDF to run. I am attaching my config files as well. 

Also, when installing EII did you install as root or regular user?

#Backup default config files
mv <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json.bkup

mv <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json.bkup

#copy UDF to common dir
cp -r <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/CustomUdfs/PySafetyGearAnalytics/safety_gear <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/common/video/udfs/python

#copy test video to test_videos dir
cp <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/CustomUdfs/PySafetyGearIngestion/Safety_Full_Hat_and_Vest.avi <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/test_videos/Safety_Full_Hat_and_Vest.avi

#copy attached config files to VideoIngestion and VideoAnalytics
cp config-VideoIngestion.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoIngestion/config.json

cp config-VideoAnalytics.json <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/VideoAnalytics/config.json

#provision and build
python3 builder.py -f usecases/video-streaming-all-udfs.yml
cd <working_dir>/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.6.2/IEdgeInsights/build
cd provision && sudo -E ./provision.sh ../docker-compose.yml
cd .. && docker-compose -f docker-compose-build.yml build

#run sample
docker-compose up -d
xhost +

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Lucho
New Contributor I

Using Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U and 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1145GRE CPU both with 5.13.0-28-generic kernel and Ubuntu 20. Openvino works as expected locally and running EII container with root user. I will try upgrading kernel in ubuntu 18 and following the steps shared for 11th Gen.

Regards,

Luciano

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

Please note Edge Insights for Industrial has Ubuntu 18.04 as a requirement. Could you please test on a system with Ubuntu 18.04?

Regards,

Jesus

Lucho
New Contributor I

Thanks, I was following this documentation:

https://open-edge-insights.github.io/pages/running.html

I will test on ubuntu 18

regards,

Luciano

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Luciano,

Please let me know the outcome of your test with Ubuntu 18.04.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

0 Kudos