Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1153 Discussions

Cannot log into Intel self service license center to get a license for Questa starter Edition

GlennR
Beginner

I have recently installed Quartus-lite-21.1.0.842-windows on a new Windows 10 computer.   It automatically installed C:\intelFPGA_lite\21.1\questa_fse.   I was very careful to select only to install Questa standard edition.   I have never used Quartus or Questa modelsim before.

It is my understanding that you do not require a license to use these two programs.   They should just work.   Quartus does.  Questa_fse does not.

I got the following error while trying to run Questa while simulating my design.

========================================================================

C:/Users/nxa12668/quartus_prime_lite/workspace2/simulation/qsim/toggle_pin.do generated.

Completed successfully.

**** Running the ModelSim simulation ****

C:/intelFPGA_lite/21.1/questa_fse/win64/vsim -c -do toggle_pin.do

Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE)

is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.

Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.

** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

Error.

=========================================================================

Next, I tried to get a Questa modelsim license from the intel website to self manage my license.   When I clicked on the following link, I got the following error message when I tried to signed in.

Link:  Developer Sign In (intel.com)

You may have been logged out or you do not have the necessary permissions to access this page.
If you have already registered for FPGA access and having issues in accessing the content, please try opening the page in a new browser window after clearing your browser cache and cookies.

If you have not registered for FPGA access, please complete the registration in order to gain access to FPGA content pages.
The registration button named "Sign in or register" can be found all the way at the bottom of this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable.html

For training related issues, please send an email to FPGAtraining@intel.com
For other access issues, you may report your issue by submitting a ticket at https://signin.intel.com/ContactUs

What should I do next?   I would really like to be able to simulate my projects.   I am trying to learn verilog and want to design a board with an FPGA.   I am interested in using Intel Cycling IV or Cyclone V FPGAs.

Thanks.  G.R.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Bill_Dale
Beginner

I am also having this issue trying to login to the Self Service Licensing Center.

-William

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear Bill_Dale,

I am so sorry for the inconvenience cause. 

Please allow me for some time to get the feedback for the solution.

Thanks!

Wani

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Bill_Dale,

Good day!

We have an update to our website and users now can access to Self Service Licensing Center

If you have not yet register in SSLC;
1. Please go to SSLC link and it will take you to login page.
2. Click this link to register. Fill in your information --> Verify your email --> confirm your information .
3. To accept Terms & Conditions.
You will receive an email stating that you are now have the access to SSLC

If you have SSLC access, you can have a try to log in to this page.

Thanks! Stay safe and take care!

Wani

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear GlennR,

Thank you for using Intel Community Forum.

We have reviewed your issue and currently our internal team are looking for the solution. Please bear with us for some time, I will update you once I have the feedback from the team.

Thanks!

Wani

0 Kudos
GlennR
Beginner

Thanks Wani.   I also submitted a ticket to Intel and this is what the response was as of this morning.   It is Friday, 11/12/2021 today.

"The reason below user is not able to login is starting 8th Nov we have made CIS application Read Only. For you to Login in SSLC Portal, there has to one entry in CIS system. Since it is made Read Only, New entries of users are not getting added. This CIS system will get Sunset this weekend.. Starting Monday, you will be using the New system [Salesforce CPQ] to generate the License. I Hope that helps."

I will try to log in again Monday morning to see if the new system fixes everything.

Just to confirm, however, I do need to get a free license for "Questa Starter Edition" to work correct?  Questa Starter Edition comes bundled with Quartus-Lite when you install it.   I have purchased some Cyclone V chips that I plan to build a board for and want to start investigating how the tools work and what is offered for free.   The Quartus-Lite/Questa modelsim is advertised on Intel's website as supporting Cyclone V among other families for free.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear GlennR,

Yes, we have some update to our website. We have launched the new Self Service Licensing Center (SSLC) portal now.
SSLC access link https://licensing.intel.com 

If you have not yet register in SSLC;
1. Please go to SSLC link and it will take you to login page.
2. Click this link to register. Fill in your information --> Verify your email --> confirm your information .
3. To accept Terms & Conditions.
You will receive an email stating that you are now have the access to SSLC.

If you have SSLC access, you can have a try to log in to this page and request for SW-QUESTA starter edition sign-up.

SW-QUESTA starter edition has 40% of the paid edition. If you need evaluation license, you may contact your distributor-DFAE to generate the license for you.

If you have further concern or questions, you may let me know.

Thank you. Stay safe and take care!

Wani

0 Kudos
JacekCi
Beginner

Hi.

It has been two day from the moment when you replied that "internal team is looking for solution". Is there any update on this topic?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear JacekCi,

I am so sorry for my late update for this issue.

Our internal team has found the issue and the issue has been addressed.

Users now can access to SSLC page and log in with email address and password. if you face any difficulty to access the link or have any log in issue, please do let me know.

Wani

0 Kudos
zgibson21
Beginner

I also would like to know if there is any update or a potential work around for this. I feel the communication from Intel has been poor at best

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear zgibson21,

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience.

Our internal team has found the issue and it has been addressed.

We have launch the new page for Self Service Licensing Center (SSLC). and users now can access to the page and can request to get SW-QUESTA starter edition.

Please go to this link and log in with your email address and password. If you face any difficulty, please do let me know.

Wani

0 Kudos
GlennR
Beginner

Thanks everyone.  My original issue of not being able to log in to get a offline license has been resolved by this post and the links provided by Zawani above.   I know the links worked before Intel redid their website.  Hopefully they will continue to work for you.

0 Kudos
FPGA-NYC
Novice

Hi folks,

I am unable to get a free license for the Questa Starter Edition as well. I have tried 3 Windows browsers and every setting of cookies, incognito/private, etc. I even tried an alternate e-mail address but that gets me nowhere even after I click the "Verify now" button in the e-mail from "YHour Intel PSG SSLC Team."

When I follow the instructions here or in the post [1], I don't get any verification e-mail, nor am I allowed in. It asks me to register, then tells me I already have an account. It's a real mystery. I have the Developer Zone Standard Account e-mail, but I don't recall an e-mail from PSG SSLC team for my real account (this one).

Please help?

Thanks!

[1] https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-FPGA-Software-Installation/I-don-t-understand-how-to-create-or-receive-the-free-license-for/td-p/1328029

0 Kudos