Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Description I am trying to verify the status of Altera IP licenses I have that are perpetual licenses but are over 10yrs old. Please put me in contact with someone who can look me up as a customer and tell me about my licenses.

TClar19
Beginner

Altera ID 868869

Company: IDCi

Name: Tom Clarke

Case# 04429294

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Welcome to Intel forum. Apologize for inconvenience happen, I’m escalating your case to customer service team. Give me some time for further checking. Thanks

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Upon checking with customer service team, there is an IP-NIOS tagged to your Host ID, maint exp 07/31/06. Customer INNOVATIVE DESIGN & CONTROL and It is a perpetual license.

You may regenerate a license file at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/licensing/lic-choose.html.

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

I posted two perpetual license files in my community post.

Is my IP-NIOS license for the host ID ending in "4030"?

Why would I need to regenerate a perpetual license? Does regenerating the license allow it to work with newer versions of the tools, or is this only if I lose the .dat file I have?

Can you tell me about the second perpetual license file I posted with host ID ending in "A450".

What product is it a license for?

I have the physical HW, but do I also own this license?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

There are IP-NIOS license for the host ID ending with "4030". The license is a permanent license file (FEATURE 6AF7_00A2 alterad 2006.07 permanent uncounted) mean that your license is permanent at 2006.07. Your license supported Quartus that release until 2006 permanently, that is Quartus version 6.0 and below. 

By right your license support only covers the NIOS Gen1 "classic" core and you will need a valid license for newer Quartus version.

For the 2nd license, upon checking with customer service team, regrettably No license tagged to ID ending in "A450".

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

Thanks for your efforts but your responses are confusing. I think We are having language barrier problems.

Let us try again. When you respond, please include every question along with your answers and answer Y/N if possible.

I did design work for different customers. Sometimes I purchased the tools, and sometimes the customer purchased the tools. I think the license file with NIC ID 'A450 was purchased and owned by a customer, so we don't need to discuss that license any further.

My goal is to determine the newest version of each design tool that will work with the NIOS II license that I own, so for the NIOS IP core license for IDCi with NIC ID '4030:

1) Is it a perpetual license with maint until 7-31-2006 (Y/N)?

2) You seem to be saying this license is only for NIOS I (classic), but I have the original sales slip for this purchase. It is clearly marked "NIOS II License Promo, IP-CORE-OB", and I used it for NIOS II designs. All the SW packages I was mailed by Altera during the maint period(5.0,5.1,6.0), are all for NIOS II. The license file has both FEATURE 6AF8_00A2 and FEATURE 6AF7_00A2. It would make sense that any license for NIOS II would also include NIOS I.

So let me ask again, is the '4030 license you checked good for NIOS II (Y/N)?

3) Altera upgraded licenses automatically during the 1yr maint period. I should have the right to use the full version tools for NIOS II, Quartus II, Megacore IP library, and ModelSim up to ver 6.0. Is this correct (Y/N)? If not, explain.

4) Even though my full NIOS II license may be restricted to NIOS II 6.0, I seem to remember that I could use newer "web edition" versions of Quartus II (7.2 for instance) to compile my design, as long as the design was created using the 6.0 NIOS II tool. Is this still true (Y/N)?

5) If the above is true, what is the most recent version of each tool (NIOS II IDE, Megacore Library, Eclipse, Quartus II web/lite, ModelSim that I can use?

6) From what I have read, it is necessary to regenerate licenses every year for some of the legacy tools. I tried using the license regenerator link, but the generator "Failed to generate Legacy License" using the same NIC ID you already verified for me. Can you help me with this?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Answer to your question:

1) Is it a perpetual license with maint until 7-31-2006 (Y/N)?

Y

2) You seem to be saying this license is only for NIOS I (classic), but I have the original sales slip for this purchase. It is clearly marked "NIOS II License Promo, IP-CORE-OB", and I used it for NIOS II designs. All the SW packages I was mailed by Altera during the maint period(5.0,5.1,6.0), are all for NIOS II. The license file has both FEATURE 6AF8_00A2 and FEATURE 6AF7_00A2. It would make sense that any license for NIOS II would also include NIOS I. So let me ask again, is the '4030 license you checked good for NIOS II (Y/N)?

Y

3) Altera upgraded licenses automatically during the 1yr maint period. I should have the right to use the full version tools for NIOS II, Quartus II, Megacore IP library, and ModelSim up to ver 6.0. Is this correct (Y/N)? If not, explain.

Y

4) Even though my full NIOS II license may be restricted to NIOS II 6.0, I seem to remember that I could use newer "web edition" versions of Quartus II (7.2 for instance) to compile my design, as long as the design was created using the 6.0 NIOS II tool. Is this still true (Y/N)?

Y, still true but not recommended as the license supported until Quartus v6.

5) If the above is true, what is the most recent version of each tool (NIOS II IDE, Megacore Library, Eclipse, Quartus II web/lite, ModelSim that I can use?

You can refer here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/software/archives/arc-index.html

6) From what I have read, it is necessary to regenerate licenses every year for some of the legacy tools. I tried using the license regenerator link, but the generator "Failed to generate Legacy License" using the same NIC ID you already verified for me. Can you help me with this?

Which license regenerator link that you use? Could you provide the link?

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

Thank you, this way of question and answer is easier to understand.

Which license regenerator link that you use? Could you provide the link?

The regenerator I tried is the link you provided in your 2nd post above. I entered the full NIC ID (12 chars) ending in 4030.

You may regenerate a license file at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/licensing/lic-choose.html.

I did get a response email, but it said "Failed to generate Legacy License".

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

I’m checking you issue with customer service and IT team. Meanwhile, Customer service team generate you a license file and I’ll sent to you via PM message.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

I did receive the license file, thanks. I have an installation of the full/standard version 5.0 of the design tools from my original CDs, but the project will not compile. QuartusII gives the error "Feature Compiler not available with your current license".

I thought my license allowed me to use the full verion of the NIOSII 5.0 IP core, and the full version of the QuartusII 5.0 compiler. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

could you provide the full error ,log file for checking

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

The project being compiled is one of the example NIOSII projects, one I have compiled before. I get the same errors with non-NIOSII examples (fir filter, etc.)

The compile output. There is no report generated.qii pic3.jpg

The license you sent me (renamed). Notice that it says "License Type: Web Edition" with expiration date as of yesterday.

I was hoping the regenerated license would work with the Full Version of QII since it would save me from having to install the web version. Am I wrong?

I tried the "Web License Update" button, but the Altera license servers were probably shut down long ago. It didn't work.qii pic1.jpg

The Quartus II versionqii pic2.jpg

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Based on my understanding, this is not nios license problem, this is the quartus problem. The quartus_lite expired, could you help apply Quartus web license again and try it https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/f/download/licensing/lic-q2web.html

0 Kudos
TClar19
Beginner

I was able to get the QuartusII web license, and combine that with the NIOSII license to create a single license file. I am still using the full version of QII5.0, and this new combined license file works to compile NIOSII projects without any time limited or tethered restrictions.

We finally succeeded! Thanks.

Now can you tell me if these legacy design tools will work on Win7 or Win10?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Form my understanding, it should work with Win7 or Win10

0 Kudos