Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Issues running Hello World openCL example missing libaltera_a10_ref_mmd.so

JGoer1
Beginner

I'm trying to compile the hello_world openCL example. At first I was having an issue where it couldn't load the openCL platform. I got past that error by coping the $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/Intel_FPGA_SSG_Emulator.icd file to /etc/OpenCL/vendors directory. Now when I go to run the host application, I get the following error:

bin/host: error while loading shared libraries: libaltera_a10_ref_mmd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have updated my path to include $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/bin, and set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/host/linux64/lib.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
29 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know the information as below:

1. OS used
  2. Quartus Version and Edition
  3. FPGA used

There is an document with information that may help to you:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi there,

I am using Ubuntu, with Quartus 19.3 Pro, and right now I'm just trying to use the emulator and the a10_ref board.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It seems you have issues with PATH enviroment.

Can you ensure that you have set the PATH environment variable correctly. It can be something as below:

export PATH=$PATH:$INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT/bin:$QUARTUS_DIR/bin

Please tell me as well if the problem still persists.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi there,

I updated my path, and attempted to recompile for the emulator, but I'm still getting "error while loading shared libraries: libaltera_a10_ref_mmd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" when I attempt to run the host executable.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I could try? I have followed the pdf you have linked several times, but the result is always the same. It seems like I'm missing a pre-requisite piece of software, but going through the requirements section I think I have installed everything? The only other thing I can think of is that my library is in a non-standard place, and my LD_LIBRARY_PATH is wrong.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I had found some command that may help you as below:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ALTERAOCLSDKROOT/host/linux64/lib:$AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT/linux64/lib

Please tell me as well if the problem still persist.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply! We are getting closer!

The next issue I have is I'm getting the following output:

$ bin/host -emulator Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3   ERROR: CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND Location: ../common/src/AOCLUtils/opencl.cpp:356 Query for number of devices failed

I have run the following commands to set up the number of devices:

$ export CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES=1 host $ bin/host -emulator

I found this thread (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyS6sSAE/compile-and-run-issues-of-hello-world?language=en_US) talking about needing to set the CL_CONTEXT_EMULATOR_DEVICE_ALTERA variable, however I can't find anything in the install pdf about that variable (other than it's been renamed to CL_CONTEXT_EMULATOR_DEVICE_INTELFPGA for rebranding purposes). Should I set that? if so, what should I set it to?

Thanks again for your time! I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Apologies, I see that is mentioned in the hello_world example docs. I am now getting the following issue:

$ bin/host -emulator Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3   Querying device for info: ======================== CL_DEVICE_NAME = EmulatorDevice : Emulated Device CL_DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_DEVICE_VENDOR_ID = 4466 CL_DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 CL_DRIVER_VERSION = 19.3 CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS = 64 CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE = true CL_DEVICE_ENDIAN_LITTLE = true CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHE_SIZE = 32768 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHELINE_SIZE = 0 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 16719629312 CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT = false CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE = 16384 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 1000 CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 1 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_ARGS = 8 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE = 4179907328 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS = 3 CL_DEVICE_MEM_BASE_ADDR_ALIGN = 8192 CL_DEVICE_MIN_DATA_TYPE_ALIGN_SIZE = 1024 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_CHAR = 4 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_SHORT = 2 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE = 0 Command queue out of order? = true Command queue profiling enabled? = true Using AOCX: hello_world.aocx Context callback: Malformed program binary: missing .acl.board section Context callback: kernel argument info is not available Context callback: Invalid binary ERROR: CL_INVALID_BINARY Location: ../common/src/AOCLUtils/opencl.cpp:392 Failed to create program with binary

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

According to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf for Quartus Prime Pro 19.3, there is an updated as stated: "Changed CL_CONTEXT_EMULATOR_DEVICE_INTELFPGA to CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES."

You can refer to Chapter 2.6.4 as link mentioned above for emulating your OpenCL Kernel.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi there,

I set CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES, and I still get the following output.

$ bin/host -emulator Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(T$) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK f$r OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3   Querying device for info: ======================== CL_DEVICE_NAME = EmulatorDevice : Emulated Devi$e CL_DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_DEVICE_VENDOR_ID = 4466 CL_DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK f$r OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 CL_DRIVER_VERSION = 19.3 CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS = 64 CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE = true CL_DEVICE_ENDIAN_LITTLE = true CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHE_SIZE = 32768 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHELINE_SIZE = 0 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 16719629312 CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT = false CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE = 16384 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 1000 CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 1 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_ARGS = 8 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE = 4179907328 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS = 3 CL_DEVICE_MEM_BASE_ADDR_ALIGN = 8192 CL_DEVICE_MIN_DATA_TYPE_ALIGN_SIZE = 1024 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_CHAR = 4 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_SHORT = 2 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE = 0 Command queue out of order? = true Command queue profiling enabled? = true Using AOCX: hello_world.aocx Context callback: Malformed program binary: missing .acl.board section Context callback: kernel argument info is not available Context callback: Invalid binary ERROR: CL_INVALID_BINARY Location: ../common/src/AOCLUtils/opencl.cpp:392 Failed to create program with binary

Just to confirm, here is what I have CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES set to:

$ echo $CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES 1 bin/host

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Can you try the command as below:

CL_CONFIG_CPU_EMULATE_DEVICES=1 bin/host

If the problem still persist, please tell me as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi Mylee,

Apologies for the delayed response. I realized I was on an incompatible version of ubuntu, and have since install 16.04.

However, after following the getting started pdf, I get a coredump from the hello world example

$ bin/host Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 Querying device for info: ======================== CL_DEVICE_NAME = EmulatorDevice : Emulated Device CL_DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_DEVICE_VENDOR_ID = 4466 CL_DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 CL_DRIVER_VERSION = 19.3 CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS = 64 CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE = true CL_DEVICE_ENDIAN_LITTLE = true CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHE_SIZE = 32768 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHELINE_SIZE = 0 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 16722680832 CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT = false CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE = 16384 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 1000 CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 1 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_ARGS = 8 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE = 4180670208 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS = 3 CL_DEVICE_MEM_BASE_ADDR_ALIGN = 8192 CL_DEVICE_MIN_DATA_TYPE_ALIGN_SIZE = 1024 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_CHAR = 4 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_SHORT = 2 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE = 0 Command queue out of order? = true Command queue profiling enabled? = true Using AOCX: hello_world.aocx terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' what(): std::bad_alloc Aborted (core dumped)

Apologies for all the questions!

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

I just attempted to sanity check something, and recompiled both the aocx and the host binary, and I'm now getting the following output.

$ ./host Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3   Querying device for info: ======================== CL_DEVICE_NAME = EmulatorDevice : Emulated Device CL_DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation CL_DEVICE_VENDOR_ID = 4466 CL_DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 CL_DRIVER_VERSION = 19.3 CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS = 64 CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE = true CL_DEVICE_ENDIAN_LITTLE = true CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHE_SIZE = 32768 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHELINE_SIZE = 0 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 16722680832 CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT = false CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE = 16384 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 1000 CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 1 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_ARGS = 8 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE = 4180670208 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS = 3 CL_DEVICE_MEM_BASE_ADDR_ALIGN = 8192 CL_DEVICE_MIN_DATA_TYPE_ALIGN_SIZE = 1024 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_CHAR = 4 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_SHORT = 2 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT = 1 CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE = 0 Command queue out of order? = true Command queue profiling enabled? = true Using AOCX: hello_world.aocx Context callback: Malformed program binary: missing .acl.board section Context callback: kernel argument info is not available Context callback: Invalid binary ERROR: CL_INVALID_BINARY Location: ../common/src/AOCLUtils/opencl.cpp:392 Failed to create program with binary

0 Kudos
MVALV2
Beginner

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue. Where you able to fix this?

Thanks,

Esteban VAlverde

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

The issue I had was I was on the wrong version of ubuntu. the fpga opencl sdk only support 16.04 and 14.04. The installation went smoothly after that, and now I'm getting a core dump in a hello world example.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would like to confirm the latest problem is regarding to the ERROR: CL_INVALID_BINARY or Aborted (core dumped)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

Hi there,

Yes, my current issue is the ERROR: CL_INVALID_BINARY error.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

And just want to confirm the versions I'm using:

Ubuntu: 16.04

Intel FPGA OpenCL SDK: 19.3

0 Kudos
JGoer1
Beginner

I have also run aocl diagnose complains about not having a board installed, but that shouldn't be an issue for the emulator right?

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Just to confirm with you that do you have setup the Intel Arria 10GX Development KIt as the document https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an807.pdf ?

Thanks

0 Kudos