Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Jam STAPL Player Quartus v16, v17

Jack_Lin
Beginner

We have code that programs .jbc file to the FPGA using a controller.

Everything works fine when the .jbc is compiled with Quartus v16.1

But it fails when it's compiled with any newer Quartus versions.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?  It's not very efficient to have multiple Quartus versions and keeping track which project needs to be compile with which version.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to manually generate the jbc file as this will let you have the option to enable the ISP programming mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know how do you generate the jbc file? Have you tested the sof file to be working? May I know if the you are facing jbc programming failure or flash to fpga configuration failure?

0 Kudos
Jack_Lin
Beginner

Hi,

I am generating the .jbc file automatically when doing compile by going:

Assignments -> Device -> Device and Pin Options -> Programming Files -> Check the Jam STAPL Byte Code 2.0 File.

I am not able to try the .sof file, because with our design, the only way to program is to use .jbc file.

If you look at the 2 zip files that I attached, you can see the error message (v16 works and v20 doesn't work).

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Have you try to manually create the JBC file using Quartus Programmer?

0 Kudos
Jack_Lin
Beginner

Yes.

The results were the same.  v16 .jbc file, which works, is smaller than the v20 .jbc file.  I tried converting using the Programmer, and also showed the same file size difference.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what is the error observed or the issue observed?

0 Kudos
Jack_Lin
Beginner

You can see the output here when I try to run the ASE.

Everything is exactly the same, the only difference is the Quartus version.  v16 works, and v20 doesn't.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

When you create the jbc file, do you tick on "Enable real-time ISP to allow background programming when available"?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Attach is the JAM and JBC file generated from Quartus version 20.1 with the ISP enabled.

0 Kudos
Jack_Lin
Beginner

Thanks, I think this works.

Is there a way to have Quartus automatically generate the .jbc file this way? Or do I have to convert it every time?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to manually generate the jbc file as this will let you have the option to enable the ISP programming mode.

0 Kudos