Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

MAX 9000 Programming

Mortem2606
Beginner

Hello,
my name is Martin and I work at a wind farm service provider in Germany.
Recently we took over the service for LSC-controllers, which where originally made by Woodward from 1998 to 2010. They are called CSC3.
On this controller they used an old MAX 9000 (EPM9400RC208-20) from Altera, to controll everything.
I wanted to reprogramm this old FPGA for testing, but i dont have a development license for Altera MAX+Plus II.
So i wanted to get one from your site: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/licensing/lic-devkits.html
But all i received was an error message.
Could i optain a key/license on another way?

Or is there any other solution for programming this FPGA? All i know is that Quartus II doesnt support the MAX 9000 series.
Best regards
Martin Diecke

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you are planning to just program the Max 9000 device then you do not need to have the license. The license is only needed if you are planning to redesign the RTL.

0 Kudos
Mortem2606
Beginner

Hello,

I think i put it wrong. I want to redesign the RTL.

Usually i only work with software so "to programm" something means "to write code" for me. I often forget that this is a little bit different on the hardware side of programming.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Based ADV2030 (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/pcn/adv2030.pdf) Max+Plus II is already discountinued. May I know if you have the software downloaded? If not, I would recommend you to contact your local sales team.

0 Kudos
Mortem2606
Beginner

I know that the software is discountinued, sadly. And yes, we own a copy oft the Altera Max+Plus II software, but it`s just the "Baseline"-license, which limits the software. I can only use the "Text Editor" and not the "Graphic Editor" or the "Waveform Editor".

So is there any way i could buy a "Developer"-license?

0 Kudos
Mortem2606
Beginner

I would use Quartus II, since this is the successor. But the MAX 9000 isn`t supported, as it says in the ADV2030.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no way to purchase the license anymore as the software has already end of life.

0 Kudos