Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition 2020.3 Pro and 2020.1 Standard license problem

Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I'm trying to run the Verilog HDL Testbench for a Single /Two Avalon-MM Master and Slave Pair.

With Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition 2019.4 Pro everything is good, but with 2020.3 Pro and 2020.1 Standard I get a messages like this:

# ** License Issue: License request for alteramtivlog feature failed

# ** License Issue: No such feature exists. (C:\FLEXLM\tools.lic)

# ** Error: Failure to obtain a Verilog simulation license. Unable to checkout any of these license features: 'alteramtivsim' or 'alteramtivlog'.

Our License File C:\FLEXLM\tools.lic

Our Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition License Expires 13-Oct-2021.

How to fix it ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
59 Replies
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Both versions of the simulator - 19.4 and 20.4 - run on the same HOST computer.

Attached both log files.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thank you for sending the MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR logs of 2019.4 version.Can you please download latest licensing software from below link and install it.

https://support.sw.siemens.com/en-US/product/905395197/downloads

Default it installs into c:\MentorGraphics\Licensing folder.

In Command Prompt go to c:\mentorgraphics\licensing folder, and then run the command “mgls_ok.exe alteramtivsim “ command to check whether it is checking out licenses or not.

Attach is the screen shot for command execution.

Could you help to test “mgls_ok.exe alteramtivsim”?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Attached screenshot (pdf) of license check and license file.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Our RDs provide the following feedbacks:

Could you help to send the MAC Address of the system to us?

One way is to have the MAC Address reported in lmtools->System Settings window. Refer to attachment.

We are investigating the root cause of this issue.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

Attached 

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Our RDs generate a temp license for you to try:

Could you set the MGLS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to vsim_license.txt path (EX: MGLS_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Flexlm\vsim_license.txt),

and run this case again to see whether this one is helpful?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

With this temporary license, Modelsim Intel Edition Pro 20.4 worked as well as version 19.4.

Attached both debug.log files.

Thank you,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Sounds good, hope everything is working well at your side. 

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

How can we get instead of a temporary license -  license for the entire period until November 11, 2021 ?

Thanks a lot for your support, 

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Done checking, our RDs suggest to re-generate the license file again, and give it another testing.

If still not working, please provide us the re-generated license file.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I have regenerated the license - unfortunately nothing has changed.

Attached regenerated license and debug log files.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Done checking, since this is an Altera-Intel OEM version, while the HOST-ID is not recognized in the latest version,

we are wondering maybe something wrong in the license generation.

Are you using any internal license generation tool?

Could you let us know which site or tool that you use to generate this license?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I only use to generate a license Self Service Licensing Center at https://fpgasupport.intel.com/AlteraLicensing/license/index.html

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

I’m opening IT ticket to report the license issue to this self-service Center. Please advise your detail in the private message.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Thanks for your patience with us. Engineering team updated some setups in OEMGEN account for Intel Modelsim, and we believe this should resolve the issue.

Could you help to re-generate the license file again and test, see how things go.

If still not working, please provide us the re-generated license file. 

0 Kudos
Elit
New Contributor I

Hi

I have regenerated the license - unfortunately nothing has changed.

Attached regenerated license and debug log files.

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

HI Sir

Thanks for your patience. Upon checking with Intel IT team, Mentor engineering and Marketing team. Regrettably, the Dongle support has been disallowed for the OEM-Editions from v2019_3. Dongles are specifically disallowed in Exhibit 1 of the VAR Agreement.

According to the recent updated agreement (Jan 2021 to Jan 2024), We dropped Altera USB dongle (GUARD_ID=) support from v2019_3 Mentor Licensing release.

The Questa Intel FPGA Edition and the Questa Intel FPGA Starter Edition license will require a unique identifier on the target workstation, like an Ethernet address or hard drive ID.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and difficulty that you have and for not being able to assist you fully. If you need any more clarification, please let me know.

Thank you for patience and understanding on this matter.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. If you don’t have any further question, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos