Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Modelsim: "Unable to replace existing ini file"

mindchasers
New Contributor I

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded to the latest Quartus Pro Edition (21.2.0), the bundled Modelsim hangs when I compile a Verilog source file and prints out error messages to the console shown below.  It might hang for a minute or two on a simple Verilog file with the cursor turning into a spinner.

I have tried changing the properties on the mpf file, but I haven't been able to find a fix. 

# ** Error: 捁散獳椠⁳敤楮摥മ
# $
# Unable to replace existing ini file (<filename>.mpf). File can not be renamed.
# $
# Unable to replace existing ini file (<filename>.mpf). File can not be renamed.
# $

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers 

Do you save the project in a project directory ? And not using the installation directory (C drive). 

The program (Quartus/Modelsim) will need to Run As Administration to edit the any files located in C drive. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
mindchasers
New Contributor I

Thank you for the reply.

The "sim" folder is OUTSIDE the C:\intelFPGA_pro installation folder. 

As an authenticated user, I have full control over my "sim" folder.

Also, I have verified the *.mpf file is NOT set for read only.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers 

I would try to uninstall and re-install the Modelsim. 

You can download it from the link below:

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/21.2/?edition=pro

See if that works for you. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
mindchasers
New Contributor I

I should have mentioned that I had already tried reinstalling it.   It didn't make a difference.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers 

Unfortunately, I can't find any info related to this error. 

If you try to do the simulation using the flow mentioned in the document, will you able to simulate it? 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/yur1496247032051.html

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers

If you try to do the simulation using the flow mentioned in the document, will you able to simulate it? 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/yur1496247032051.html

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
mindchasers
New Contributor I

Yes, it simulates fine.  The problem is when I try to compile even a simple Verilog file.  That's when Modelsim hangs and I see the console errors. 

I'm just living with it for now. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers ,

Hmm... that's weird.

Could you help to share the verilog files and the step-by-step simulation flow that you used, so I could try to duplicate the error from my side?

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @mindchasers ,

Could you help to share the verilog files and the step-by-step simulation flow that you used, so I could try to duplicate the error from my side?

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
KCMurphy
New Contributor II

This is happening to me as well.  I'm betting that Windows 10 has a new setting to help us protect ourselves better.

Try this on a fully patched and updated Windows 10 Pro (e.g. 21H1 build 19043.1237)  installation of Msim-AE (paid) 2021.1

Any update to project.mpf creates a project.mpf_new but the replacement does not happen until modelsim is closed. 

The only solution I have found is to set the entire local folder security to be fully controlled by "Everyone", with inheritance.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

@mindchasers 

Could you try the suggestion from @KCMurphy  and see if it works for you? 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
KCMurphy
New Contributor II

Sadly, it only works partially.  I still get these errors in most cases.

Symptom:  If I attempt to manually remove the project.mpf file, or rename it, I get a notice that the file is in use by vsimk.exe and the action is rejected.  All user controls are off,  I'm running as admin, and I own the folder and everything in it.  But vismk.exe has locked the file as "in use" as far as Windows 10 is concerned.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @KCMurphy 

Could you try to install Questa Intel FPGA Edition (Q21.3 Pro) that released recently? 

See if the issue still persists. It will be hard to fix this in Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition as it will not be supported starting from Q21.3 Pro onwards.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
KCMurphy
New Contributor II

Sorry.  Not going to change simulators mid-project.

0 Kudos
jrx077
Beginner

One fix I found was to delete the "_lock" file that was located in the "work" folder of my simulation directory. Hope that helps someone!

0 Kudos
KCMurphy
New Contributor II

Yes, that appears to work.

0 Kudos