Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1202 Discussions

Questa - Intel FPGA starter can't find license while Quartus 21.1 Standard floating lic works fine

Val3
Beginner

Hi,

I use paid Quartus Standard 21.1 floating license installed on the server. Quartus works fine and shows licenses from the server. 

When I run "Questa - Intel FPGA starter" it complains that it can't find license.

I set environment variables LM_LICENSE_FILE and MGLS_LICENSE_FILE to my license server location as port@server_name but it doesn't help.

Please advise how to fix that issue.

Best regards,

Val

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to Intel forum. For Questa Sim Starter Edition, require to have a Questa starter license.  You may request the Questa Sim Starter Edition free license here https://licensing.intel.com/        

1) Go to Sign up for Evaluation or Free licenses

2) Select Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition SW-QUESTA

3) # of Seats is always 1

4) Check the T&C box

5) Click Get License button

The license will be sent to email that you register with

0 Kudos
Val3
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for the help. 

I generated and received new license for "Questasim*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition".

1. Quartus is now pointed to this file location with added my floating license port@server after ";" at the same line.

2. I modified LM_LICENSE_FILE variable to have full path to the file with new Questa license and added my floating license port@server after ";". 

Questa can't find license as before. Quartus works fine.

Please advise how to resolve that issue.

Best regards,

Val

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

To further understand the issue, could you get me the:

1) Debug/error.log file

2) Error message screen shot

3) Screenshot of Quartus II>>tools>>license setup

4) Machine OS information

5) Quartus version used

6) Output of “lmutil lmstat –a –c <port>@<address>” server and client

7) License.dat file (Questa)

For privacy, reply/attach file in private message.

0 Kudos
Val3
Beginner

Answering your questions:

1) Debug/error.log file

I can't locate any debug/error.log file associated with this issue

2) Error message screen shot

Val3_2-1652972996421.png

3) Screenshot of Quartus II>>tools>>license setup

Val3_3-1652973064986.png

4) Machine OS information

Val3_4-1652973126705.png

5) Quartus version used

Val3_0-1652972760295.png

6) Output of “lmutil lmstat –a –c <port>@<address>” server and client

Attached: lmstat.txt

7) License.dat file (Questa)

Attached: License.zip

Val3_5-1652973583973.png

Val3_6-1652973883001.png

Val3_0-1652974959775.png

I can't see the option there to send private message.

Best regards,

Val

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

FYI, you can find debug.log file at LMTOOLS > path to the debug log file.

You can refer to this following YouTube on how to find debug log file ( min.2:55)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLaWatUbe8

Could you also provide asm.rpt. file ?

0 Kudos
Val3
Beginner

The only debug.log file on my C: drive is located at C:\intelFPGA\21.1\quartus\common\help\webhelp\

Please see it attached along with asm.rpt.

My floating license server works fine and youtube video is related to troubleshooting floating licenses as far as I understand.

My local license for Quasta doesn't work while Modelsim with Quartus 20.1.1 works without any issues.

0 Kudos
Val3
Beginner

Attached please find output of "lmutil lmdiag" command.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Welcome to Intel forum. Regrettably, there are issue with Questa license generated recently. Could you help to apply again Questa license in Self Service Licensing Center https://licensing.intel.com/ any try it, see how things go.     

0 Kudos
Val3
Beginner

Hi,

I can see some progress with the license file generated today. At least now Questa opens main window. But some features can't be found in this license file:

Val3_0-1653416715573.png

Attached please find updated license file.

Looks like the main reason for the issue is my work with this PC via RDP (Remote Desktop) session. 

Val3_1-1653418668143.png

I definitely need to keep an ability to work remotely with this Quartus installation.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Currently, Intel does not support work with PC via RDP (Remote Desktop) session for ModelSim and QuestaSim software. Please refer to the Mentor Graphics* ModelSim and QuestaSim Support chapter of the Intel Quartus Prime Handbook.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/gft1513990268888.html#mwh1410383443743

Under “3.5. Unsupported Features” tab.

0 Kudos
SDunc1
Beginner

are the ports that you use for Quartus and the Questa both open between your license server and your client PCs?

easy way to verify is to install the Telnet feature on the client, and then try telnetting to the license server on the port used by the daemon.

so, by default 1800 is used.

open command prompt on client

type telnet <server_IP> <Port>

if the communication port is enabled, the prompt will change, if isn't, it will just hang on the last command and you will have to wait or cancel the Telnet attempt.

we are pretty locked down where i work, so i also have the firewall open to use specific ports on the VENDOR statements of the license file.

For example: 

VENDOR alterad <Path__To__Quartus__License__Daemon> port=57321

VENDOR mgcld <Path__To__ModelSim__License__Daemon> port=57322

BTW,  how did you apply for your Questa Licensing?  I am trying to upgrade our license server from ModelSim to the new Siemens Questa version.  zero luck so far.   Currently we have 50 seat floating licenses for everything else except Questa.  <sigh>

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi @SDunc1

Thanks for the info. Meanwhile regarding Questa licensing issue, kindly refer the question to your open Forum ticket https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-FPGA-Software-Installation/how-do-i-upgrade-our-50-seat-floating-license-from-ModelSim-to/m-p/1390594#M3958

I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you. 

0 Kudos