Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1153 Discussions

Unable to get Questa Starter Edition license working on Xubuntu

boingbumtschak
Beginner

I have been trying to get Questa Starter Edition to work on my Xubuntu virtual machine for two days without success.

I have downloaded this file:

boingbumtschak_1-1638513292791.png

And installed it.

Then, i have generated this license from Intel SSLC:

boingbumtschak_2-1638513369924.png

I have downloaded the license file, renamed it to license.dat and copied it to /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/

Then I opened a terminal in /home/esteve/intelFPGA/21.1/questa_fse/bin/ where Questa is installed and i have run ./vsim to get this message:

Unable to find the license file.  It appears that your license file environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE) is not set correctly.
Unable to checkout a license.  Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

I have tried to set the environment variable to "/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat" by several methods and I still get the same message. I am not a linux expert at all so I really don't know if I have set the variable correctly. I have tried the following methods:

• running LM_LICENSE_FILE="/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat". If I then run printenv LM_LICENSE_FILE i get nothing...
  • adding the line LM_LICENSE_FILE="/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat" to the file /etc/environment and then running source /etc/environment. at this point I run echo $LM_LICENSE_FILE I get /usr/local/flexsim/licenses/license.dat in return.

However, after doing the above and trying to run ./vsim i still get the unable to file license message.

Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear boingbumtschak,

Thank you for using Intel FPGA Community Forum.

We will continue support your issue in private email as some confidential info is required.

Thanks. Stay safe and take care!

Wani

0 Kudos
EkanshBhatnagar
Beginner

I have same problem, what is the solution.

0 Kudos
yura
Beginner

I have the same problem, what is its solution.

0 Kudos
ilya_r
Beginner

Для запуска Questasim в Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon необходимо в конце файлов:

/home/user/.profile
/home/user/.bashrc

где вместо user подставить имя вашей домашней паки,

прописать переменную окружения LM_LICENSE_FILE,

добавив в конец обоих файлов строку:

export LM_LICENSE_FILE="/license_file_path/LR-070156_License.dat"

Вместо license_file_path вставить путь к файлу лицензии.

Сохранить файлы и перезагрузить компьютер.

0 Kudos