Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Why has my "permanent" NIOS license expired ?

MJack11
Beginner

We purchased a NIOS II license back in 2007.

I've now tried to use this in Quartus 18 (having made a new NIOS "Gen2" component) and I'm getting the following error:-

Warning (292015): License for core Nios II Processor (6AF7_00A2), version 2009.04 is expired.

I've attached a screenshot of the license setup.

Can anyone explain the difference between the NIOS license being "permanent" but the "Subscription Expiration" being 2018.09?

Has my "permanent" NIOS license *actually* expired?

Or does my previous license not support the Gen2 core?

Cheers

Mark J.

Screenshot from 2019-02-25 09-33-06.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Welcome to INTEL forum. May I know, before Quartus 18 what Quartus version did you use? Does it successfully compile or reproduce same license error? Can you provide your license file for checking? And you can also reply/attach your license.dat file in private message.
0 Kudos
MJack11
Beginner

Previous version was Quartus 11.1 (Build 216) ... I've just done a re-compile and the license works fine.

I have PMed you the license file.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Apologize the delay as I was out of office recently. Could you re send again your license.dat file? We don’t get the attachment that you PMed.
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Got your license.dat attachment. There are 2 version of Nios in your license.dat. 1) FEATURE 6AF8_00A2 alterad 2008.10 permanent uncounted and 2) FEATURE 6AF7_00A2 alterad 9999.12 16-mar-2012. The no2 license is the evaluation license and supported until Quartus 11.1.That explain why Quartus 11 was supported. For your question Has my "permanent" NIOS license *actually* expired? Your license is still permanent, and you can use anytime with version 11.1 and below. Regrettably, your license will not support Quartus 18.
0 Kudos
MJack11
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm, I have two NIOS license entries (1) and (2).

The (2) license is an evaluation license and supported until Quartus 11.1

So how about the (1) license ?

This the "permanent" license, correct ?

And, like the (2) license, is also only supported until Quartus 11.1, correct ?

If so, is this because my license only covers the NIOS Gen1 "classic" core ?

So I'll need a new license for the Gen2 core ?

Sorry for all the questions ... just trying to work out your definition of "permanent" 😕

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Based on my understanding for the first license, yes, it is a permanent license file. (FEATURE 6AF8_00A2 alterad 2008.10 permanent uncounted) mean that your license is permanent at 2008.10. Your license supported Quartus that release until 2008 permanently, that is Quartus version 8.0 and below. By right your license support only covers the NIOS Gen1 "classic" core and you will need a valid license for Quartus 18. Kindly contact your nearest Altera sales person or distributor to purchase a valid license file. To order by phone: In the United States and Canada, call Telesales at 1-888-800-0631. Outside the United States or Canada, contact your local sales representative or distributor. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html buy online. https://www.altera.com/buy/design-software.html
0 Kudos
MJack11
Beginner

Clear and concise answer to my question ... 🙂

I will order a new license.

Many thanks

Mark J.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
No prob. With your confirmation, I have set the Case to close. Should you encounter new issues, you are welcomed to file a new Case. Thank you
0 Kudos