Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Can't find DE1-SoC_Computer system configuration for ARM?

서박사
New Contributor I

Hello, I'm trying to build a DE1-SoC Computer system from a university program.

I've installed the university program and checked there are two documents of the computer which is based on ARM and the computer which is based on NIOS II.

However, the system configuration (Quartus project, .qsys files) seems to be only based on NIOS II (The register map of the system is identical to the register map introduced by the document of the doc_Nios).

Can I find the system configuration which is for the ARM core?

Or, is the hardware configuration is same for both ARM and NIOS II?

If so, how can be the address map of both systems differs from each other?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
YoshiakiS_Intel
Employee

Hello 서박사,

Are you asking us about the following two documents?

Computer Systems for DE1-SoC

DE1-SoC Computer with ARM

PDF

DE1-SoC Computer with Nios II

PDF

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/topic-technology/fpga-academic/materials-computer-systems.html

This system is designed so that the address maps from ARM and NIOS are the same.

For example, LED address in the documents above is 0xff200000.

Here is the address map of NiosII in Platform Designer.

de1_nios.PNG

We can confirm the address is 0xff200000.

Here is the address map of ARM in Platform designer.

de1_arm.PNG

LED address is 0x00. But, the device is connected to H2F light weight bridge. So the actual address is 0xff200000 + 0x00.

I hope it helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
YoshiakiS_Intel
Employee

Hello 서박사,

Are you asking us about the following two documents?

Computer Systems for DE1-SoC

DE1-SoC Computer with ARM

PDF

DE1-SoC Computer with Nios II

PDF

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/topic-technology/fpga-academic/materials-computer-systems.html

This system is designed so that the address maps from ARM and NIOS are the same.

For example, LED address in the documents above is 0xff200000.

Here is the address map of NiosII in Platform Designer.

de1_nios.PNG

We can confirm the address is 0xff200000.

Here is the address map of ARM in Platform designer.

de1_arm.PNG

LED address is 0x00. But, the device is connected to H2F light weight bridge. So the actual address is 0xff200000 + 0x00.

I hope it helps.

서박사
New Contributor I

Hello Yoshiaki,

Thank you for your response.

I thought that the hardware (FPGA, .qsys) configuration of ARM-based computers and NIOS-II-based computers should be different.

However, it seems that the hardware configuration for both computers is the same but the only operating principle and register maps which are related to the memory are different.

Now it is clear to me.

If it is not the big deal for asking the question, may I ask where can I find the HPS-FPGA bridge offset(0xC0000000) of the memory components in the .qsys file?

(.qsys file only shows that the base address of on-chip SRAM is 08000000, but it should be C8000000 to be used in ARM-based computers. Surely the information is shown in the document that you've attached but I just want to know where can I find the information in the hardware configuration)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello 서박사,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you.

0 Kudos