Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

Clarification of documentation for HPS TIMER polling operation

KMcis
Beginner

We are using the DE10 board in our microcontroller design class. I have assigned the students a lab to use the HPS TIMER in the polling configuration.

According to the documentation (DE10-Standard_Computer_ARM Section 2.4.2 and 3.2), the M and E bits (bits 0 and 1) in the control register (Base+8) should be set to enable the repetitive counting operation with automatic reloading of the load register (Base). The documentation says:

The timer counts down to 0, and then sets both bit F in the End-of-interrupt register and bit S in the Interrupt status register to 1. Software can poll the value of S to determine when the timer period has expired. The S bit, and the F bit can be reset to 0 by reading the contents of the End-of-Interrupt register. Also, if bit I , the interrupt mask bit, in the Control register is set to 0, then an interrupt can be generated when the timer reaches 0 (note that bit I in the ARM A9 private timer shown in Figure 3 has the opposite polarity)

The implication is that bit S (0) of the status register (base+4) and bit F (0) of the end-of-interrupt register (base+3) come on when the timer reaches zero, regardless of state of bit I of the control register. The purpose of bit I is to cause (I=0) or not cause (I=1) the IRQ event when S&F come on.

However, in repeated experiments, with both Timer0 and Timer1, I find that the F and S bits do NOT come on EVER if bit I is set to 1.

I believe the HPS timer is part of the ARM HPS IP, so I can't look at the HDL to see if I'm right. I would like to give my students a clear interpretation of this passage.

Can someone confirm or deny my findings?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, The DE10 board is a Terasic's board and they have created all the related documents for DE10 , I apologize for not being able to answer your question, please contact Terasic for any concerns or questions about document related issue. Regards
0 Kudos
KMcis
Beginner

Terasic designed the board and wrote the document, but the HPS timer is Intel FPGA IP. The Cyclone V user manual contains the same information, that the I bit masks the interrupt. It doesn't say it also prevents the status bit from coming on. apparently this unit is based on the Synopsys DW_apb_timer object, but documentation for that unit seems to require membership in Synopsys. Is there no functional description that can clarify what it actually does with the I bit?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi Ken, I will check for this and will let you know.
0 Kudos