Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Custom DE0 university board design (How to make the USB working?)

Gerrit_Kas
Beginner

Hi Intel Forum users, 

I have built a custom PCB for a project at the university to have an on board FPGA. This enables us to do the DSP on the FPGA and reprogram parameters etc. I have used the DE0 documentation included as a reference design and this is exactly taken from the schematics on the implemented PCB. 

However when debugging no USB communication between laptop and PCB could be found. Both the USBP and USBM are constantly grounded and the 6MHz signal between the FT245BL (USB chip) and the EPM240T100 is also not found. The 24MHz clock of the crystal oscillator is verified. 

I was wondering if someone here ever worked on the USB port communication and knows where the problem could be? I highly suspect that a certain program has to be uploaded to the FT245BL and EPM240T100 to be in the right settings.

For verification I use a measurement setup with the PCB and the DE0 FPGA, and the DE0 FPGA board does connect and communicate with the USB port. 

Best regards, 

Gerrit Kas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Kas
Beginner

I forgot to include a link to which FPGA has been used to include more information:

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/t/terasic-tech/deo-development-board

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Kas
Beginner

I noticed that the MAXII240 CPLD seems to have an encrypted program uploaded on it by Intel. Is there anyone at Intel I can get into contact for buying such preprogrammed CPLD's as provided for the DE0? 

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Unfortunately Intel FPGA doesn't support USB IP solution hence we are not able to provide any good technical consultation to you regarding USB protocol debug.

FYI... DE0 is not board developed by Intel FPGA. DE0 board is designed by Terasic company. Perhaps you can check with Terasic directly regarding your enquiry that's related to DE0 board via support@terasic.com

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

dlim