Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

DE10-standard OpenCL

amara5
New Contributor I

Hi,

I would like to try and evaluate OpenCL programming using a DE10-standard board.

Following the instructions contained in 'Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL Getting Started Guide', I installed Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL together with Quartus Prime Standard v.18.0 with 30 days trial license and tried to compile the examples in the DE10-standard board BSP.

As a matter of fact, the compiler does not generate an executable (it says it could not find TOP.SOF file).

I am suspecting it requires another license for Quartus in addition to the 30 days trial.

If this is the case, is it possible to get an OpenCL evaluation license?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi amara5,

Do you see the .sof file or time_limited sof file generated in the output_files folder?

Thanks

0 Kudos
amara5
New Contributor I

Hi KYeoh,

I could not find any .sof file, just a .qpf file I opened and tried to compile via Quartus Lite 18.0 GUI. This operation produced a top.sof file, but no aocx.

Then I tried the line command (via Quartus 18.1, since Quartus Lite does not offer any aoc executable): aoc hello_world.aoco, but it produced the error: Qsys-script failed!

Thanks

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi amara5,

Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL is supported with the Intel Quartus Prime Pro/Standard Edition software only and no additional licenses are required.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf

Thanks.

0 Kudos
amara5
New Contributor I

Hi KYeoh,

what about the indicated price for Quartus Prime Standard edition (Fixed - $2,995Float - $3,995)?

In 'DE10-Standard OpenCL User Manual' (https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive_download.pl?Language=English&No=1081&FID=4951f246490ede26070d8f3b71b6fb9f), page 13, paragraph 2.2 License Installation, it is written:

"An Quartus license is required to compile OpenCL project. Users can purchase the license from

Intel. A file named “license.dat” will be given upon purchasing Quartus license.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The Intel Quartus Prime Standard/Pro edition software require license. If you have the license for the Intel Quartus Prime Standard/Pro edition software, you do not need to purchase additional license for the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL. The Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL license is included in the Intel Quartus Prime license.

Thanks

0 Kudos
amara5
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am using a low cost entry level board and I would like to evaluate FPGA OpenCL programming.

In this moment I can not afford to spend $3000 for a license.

Is it possible to get a trial license?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi amara5,

In this case, you have to contact the Intel Sales Representative.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/buy/intellectual-property.html

Thanks.

0 Kudos