Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Files seem to be missing from Qsys synthesis of UP entities

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gentlemen, 

I am working on a Qsys project involving the UP 16x2 LCD display and 3 UARTS on a DE2-70 board. The Qsys generation of the NIOS processor works fine with no errors or warnings. However, when I instantiate the NIOS processor in my project, it cannot find 4 modules: 

altera_up_character_lcd_communication 

altera_up_character_lcd_initialization 

altera_up_RS232_in_deserializer 

altera_up_RS232_out_serializer 

I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find them. I am running Quartus II 11.0 sp1. 

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. 

Regards, 

Geoffrey Gill
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you install the University Program IP cores? They're a separate download. 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/software/upds/unv-upds.html 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

In short, yes.  

I have a separate directory under C:\altera\11.0sp1\University_Program. There is the Monitor program, Examples, etc. I have been able to load and play with both the Basic Computer and the Media Computer for the DE2-70 board. I have been able to make some minor changes to the Basic Computer. I did that using the SOPC Builder, but was trying to use Qsys, as that seems to be the future. 

I have found Qsys somewhat more complex in terms of requiring many more "connections". SOPC Builder seemed to make more interconnects automatically. I am not a "hardware designer", but am trying to develop a simple computer to control a Serial Graphics Display, a DCC model railroad, and incoming XBee communications from the trains. The alternative choice is to use an ATMega 128, but I thought the inherently better built-in I/O on the DE2-70 board would make life easier.  

Any other ideas on why this might be failing? I will try to reinstall the UP cores and recompile the project. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Regards, 

Geof
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

I uninstalled the UP, then completely reinstalled it. No joy. When I instantiate the NIOS processor and compile it fails again with the same error messages. 

Regards, 

Geof
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

I removed the UP IP's from the Qsys project and used the regular Altera ones. I left out the LCD display, but added the 3 serial ports. It generated the system with 6 warnings and then it compiled. 

So who knows. Also FYI the RS232 UP IP core has an error in it. It will not allow the selection of a 19200 baud rate! I was able to recalculate the BAUD_TICK_COUNT, etc to force it to 19200. 

Weird. 

Geof
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Geof, 

Sorry to hear the UP cores didn't work. I haven't ever had a need to try them.  

Creating a Qsys/SOPC IP core is pretty straight-forward once you get the hang of it. If you create the core yourself, then you're only fixing your own bugs :) 

It sounds like you've figured out a work-around that will get you going. If you have trouble figuring out how to get things to work, ask and I'll take a look. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Dave, 

I have run into one more issue. I am using the web edition of he Quartus II software. Am I correct is assuming that I cannot use the NIOS processor except on a tethered or time limited basis without a separate license? 

That is a real deal breaker for using this approach. My fallback position for using either my DE0-NANO or DE2-70 board is to do everything in Verilog. I am a retired individual and could not justify a great expense for a license. 

I appreciate again the time you have spent of this issue. One of the great benefits of forums like this. 

Regards, 

Geof 

PS: with the Cheers signoff are you an Aussie?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have run into one more issue. I am using the web edition of he Quartus II software. Am I correct is assuming that I cannot use the NIOS processor except on a tethered or time limited basis without a separate license? 

--- Quote End ---  

Use the NIOS II/e core: 

http://www.altera.com/devices/processor/nios2/cores/economy/ni2-economy-core.html 

--- Quote Start ---  

That is a real deal breaker for using this approach. My fallback position for using either my DE0-NANO or DE2-70 board is to do everything in Verilog. I am a retired individual and could not justify a great expense for a license. 

--- Quote End ---  

If the NIOS II/e core doesn't work for you, you could try one of the OpenCores cores, eg., OpenRISC or one of the AVR variants, or the Leon SPARC processor. They're all free. 

--- Quote Start ---  

with the Cheers signoff are you an Aussie? 

--- Quote End ---  

Close - NZer (Kiwi) :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos