Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1099 Discussions

Files seem to be missing from Qsys synthesis of UP entities

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gentlemen, 

I am working on a Qsys project involving the UP 16x2 LCD display and 3 UARTS on a DE2-70 board. The Qsys generation of the NIOS processor works fine with no errors or warnings. However, when I instantiate the NIOS processor in my project, it cannot find 4 modules: 

altera_up_character_lcd_communication 

altera_up_character_lcd_initialization 

altera_up_RS232_in_deserializer 

altera_up_RS232_out_serializer 

I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find them. I am running Quartus II 11.0 sp1. 

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. 

Regards, 

Geoffrey Gill
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you install the University Program IP cores? They're a separate download. 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/software/upds/unv-upds.html 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

In short, yes.  

I have a separate directory under C:\altera\11.0sp1\University_Program. There is the Monitor program, Examples, etc. I have been able to load and play with both the Basic Computer and the Media Computer for the DE2-70 board. I have been able to make some minor changes to the Basic Computer. I did that using the SOPC Builder, but was trying to use Qsys, as that seems to be the future. 

I have found Qsys somewhat more complex in terms of requiring many more "connections". SOPC Builder seemed to make more interconnects automatically. I am not a "hardware designer", but am trying to develop a simple computer to control a Serial Graphics Display, a DCC model railroad, and incoming XBee communications from the trains. The alternative choice is to use an ATMega 128, but I thought the inherently better built-in I/O on the DE2-70 board would make life easier.  

Any other ideas on why this might be failing? I will try to reinstall the UP cores and recompile the project. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Regards, 

Geof
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

I uninstalled the UP, then completely reinstalled it. No joy. When I instantiate the NIOS processor and compile it fails again with the same error messages. 

Regards, 

Geof
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dave, 

I removed the UP IP's from the Qsys project and used the regular Altera ones. I left out the LCD display, but added the 3 serial ports. It generated the system with 6 warnings and then it compiled. 

So who knows. Also FYI the RS232 UP IP core has an error in it. It will not allow the selection of a 19200 baud rate! I was able to recalculate the BAUD_TICK_COUNT, etc to force it to 19200. 

Weird. 

Geof
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Geof, 

Sorry to hear the UP cores didn't work. I haven't ever had a need to try them.  

Creating a Qsys/SOPC IP core is pretty straight-forward once you get the hang of it. If you create the core yourself, then you're only fixing your own bugs :) 

It sounds like you've figured out a work-around that will get you going. If you have trouble figuring out how to get things to work, ask and I'll take a look. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Dave, 

I have run into one more issue. I am using the web edition of he Quartus II software. Am I correct is assuming that I cannot use the NIOS processor except on a tethered or time limited basis without a separate license? 

That is a real deal breaker for using this approach. My fallback position for using either my DE0-NANO or DE2-70 board is to do everything in Verilog. I am a retired individual and could not justify a great expense for a license. 

I appreciate again the time you have spent of this issue. One of the great benefits of forums like this. 

Regards, 

Geof 

PS: with the Cheers signoff are you an Aussie?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have run into one more issue. I am using the web edition of he Quartus II software. Am I correct is assuming that I cannot use the NIOS processor except on a tethered or time limited basis without a separate license? 

--- Quote End ---  

Use the NIOS II/e core: 

http://www.altera.com/devices/processor/nios2/cores/economy/ni2-economy-core.html 

--- Quote Start ---  

That is a real deal breaker for using this approach. My fallback position for using either my DE0-NANO or DE2-70 board is to do everything in Verilog. I am a retired individual and could not justify a great expense for a license. 

--- Quote End ---  

If the NIOS II/e core doesn't work for you, you could try one of the OpenCores cores, eg., OpenRISC or one of the AVR variants, or the Leon SPARC processor. They're all free. 

--- Quote Start ---  

with the Cheers signoff are you an Aussie? 

--- Quote End ---  

Close - NZer (Kiwi) :) 

Cheers, 

Dave