Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

IP Core compatibility with High Capacity SD Card (SDHC)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I'm using the university program IP core for SD Cards. I think it was designed to be used with standard capacity SD Cards (specifcation V1) (up to 2GB). 

I have performed tests with standard capacity SD Cards and it Works fine, but I need to work with High Capacity cards (SDHC >4GB, Specification V2). 

I did a test with a SDHC but, it didn't work. My code isn't able to verify that the card is connected because when I read the aux_status_register it never takes the value 0x02, that is the condition that indicates that a card is connected. 

Does anyone know what changes I need to do to the source code (VHDL) in order to be able to read and write SDHC Cards? 

I have seen the Physical Layer Simplified Specification Version 2.00 and it seems that the main difference between the V1 and V2 is the CSD Register, but I don't know what I need to modify in the VHDL files. 

Note: I'm using a micro SDHD with speed grade 4 and an adapter to connect the card into the SD socket of a DE2-115.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm also having this problem. I've heard there are some compatibility issues with certain SD card brands, but haven't been able to find which specific ones work. Did you ever find a solution to your issue?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same problem here - best I can come up with is to try with different IP cores...

0 Kudos