Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

Laboratory exercise 3: Part V [Verilog]

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there! 

I am looking for some help or hints with Lab3 part V. I've done all the previous exercise, but I can't get any grip on that one. 

I've written a module which is convert a for bit binary to one digit hex. But I don't know which previous circuit should I use? A gated D latch or a RS latch or something else?  

Any help or a circuit schematic would be very helpfull.  

Cheers!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

could be a lot more helpful if you could post your laboratory question :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

could be a lot more helpful if you could post your laboratory question :) 

--- Quote End ---  

That is obvious. Sorry. So here's the instructions from Lab3 Part V: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Part V 

We wish to display the hexadecimal value of a 16-bit number A on the four 7-segment displays, HEX7-4. We 

also wish to display the hex value of a 16-bit number B on the four 7-segment displays, HEX3-0. The values 

of A and B are inputs to the circuit which are provided by means of switches SW15-0. This is to be done by first 

setting the switches to the value of A and then setting the switches to the value of B; therefore, the value of A 

must be stored in the circuit. 

1. Create a new Quartus II project which will be used to implement the desired circuit on the Altera DE2-series 

board. 

2. Write a Verilog file that provides the necessary functionality. Use KEY0 as an active-low asynchronous 

reset, and use KEY1 as a clock input. 

3. Include the Verilog file in your project and compile the circuit. 

4. Assign the pins on the FPGA to connect to the switches and 7-segment displays, as indicated in the User 

Manual for the DE2-series board. 

5. Recompile the circuit and download it into the FPGA chip. 

6. Test the functionality of your design by toggling the switches and observing the output displays. 

--- Quote End ---  

This is the module that I mentioned above: 

module _7_seg(S, H); input S; output H; assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (S&~S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&~S) | (S&~S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&~S) | (S&S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&S&~S) | (S&S&~S&~S) | (S&S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&~S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&~S&S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (~S&S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&~S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&~S&S&~S) | (~S&~S&S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&~S) | (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&~S); endmodule  

It converts a 4 bit binary into a single digit hexa, which can be displayed on the 7 seg display. 

I guess I should use 16 inscances of a gated d latch, somethig like this: 

module gated_D_latch(Clk, D, Q); input Clk, D; output Q; wire S, R, R_g, S_g, Qa, Qb /* synthesis keep */ ; assign S = D; assign R = ~D; assign S_g = ~(S & Clk); assign R_g = ~(Clk & R); assign Qa = ~(S_g & Qb); assign Qb = ~(Qa & R_g); assign Q = Qa; endmodule  

All instances using the same Clk. But I don't know how should I wire this components up?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you have a 16 bit register as the input 

reg input_data; reg a,b,c,d; you can access 4bit segments of it like 

a=input_data; b=input_data; c=input_data; d=input_data; 

a register itself is a latch. what were you planning to achieve using the gated d latch?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

what were you planning to achieve using the gated d latch? 

--- Quote End ---  

A circuit that can store a 16 binary number. 

Something like this: 

img132.imageshack.us/img132/7247/circx.png 

But instead of 4 instances I would use 16 so I could store 16 bits. 

~CLR would be KEY0 

CLK would be ~KEY1 

module D_latch_async_rst(RST, CLK, DAT, Q); input RST, CLK, DAT; output reg Q; always @ (RST or CLK or DAT) if(~RST) Q = 1'b0; else if (CLK) Q = DAT; endmodule
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that should work.. i hope you realized that your circuit is level triggered and not edge triggered.. a 16 bit edge triggered d flip flop would look like this 

module D_latch_async_rst(RST, CLK, DAT, Q); input RST, CLK; input DAT; output reg Q; always @ (posedge CLK) begin if(~RST) Q = 1'b0; else Q = DAT; end endmodule 

i hope someone will correct me if im wrong
0 Kudos