Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1079 Discussions

Laboratory exercise 3: Part V [Verilog]

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there! 

I am looking for some help or hints with Lab3 part V. I've done all the previous exercise, but I can't get any grip on that one. 

I've written a module which is convert a for bit binary to one digit hex. But I don't know which previous circuit should I use? A gated D latch or a RS latch or something else?  

Any help or a circuit schematic would be very helpfull.  

Cheers!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

could be a lot more helpful if you could post your laboratory question :)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

could be a lot more helpful if you could post your laboratory question :) 

--- Quote End ---  

That is obvious. Sorry. So here's the instructions from Lab3 Part V: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Part V 

We wish to display the hexadecimal value of a 16-bit number A on the four 7-segment displays, HEX7-4. We 

also wish to display the hex value of a 16-bit number B on the four 7-segment displays, HEX3-0. The values 

of A and B are inputs to the circuit which are provided by means of switches SW15-0. This is to be done by first 

setting the switches to the value of A and then setting the switches to the value of B; therefore, the value of A 

must be stored in the circuit. 

1. Create a new Quartus II project which will be used to implement the desired circuit on the Altera DE2-series 

board. 

2. Write a Verilog file that provides the necessary functionality. Use KEY0 as an active-low asynchronous 

reset, and use KEY1 as a clock input. 

3. Include the Verilog file in your project and compile the circuit. 

4. Assign the pins on the FPGA to connect to the switches and 7-segment displays, as indicated in the User 

Manual for the DE2-series board. 

5. Recompile the circuit and download it into the FPGA chip. 

6. Test the functionality of your design by toggling the switches and observing the output displays. 

--- Quote End ---  

This is the module that I mentioned above: 

module _7_seg(S, H); input S; output H; assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (S&~S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&~S) | (S&~S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&~S) | (S&S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&S&~S) | (S&S&~S&~S) | (S&S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&~S&S&~S) | (S&S&S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&~S&S&S) | (~S&S&~S&~S) | (~S&S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&~S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&~S&S&~S) | (~S&~S&S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&S); assign H = (~S&~S&~S&~S) | (~S&~S&~S&S) | (~S&S&S&S) | (S&S&~S&~S); endmodule  

It converts a 4 bit binary into a single digit hexa, which can be displayed on the 7 seg display. 

I guess I should use 16 inscances of a gated d latch, somethig like this: 

module gated_D_latch(Clk, D, Q); input Clk, D; output Q; wire S, R, R_g, S_g, Qa, Qb /* synthesis keep */ ; assign S = D; assign R = ~D; assign S_g = ~(S & Clk); assign R_g = ~(Clk & R); assign Qa = ~(S_g & Qb); assign Qb = ~(Qa & R_g); assign Q = Qa; endmodule  

All instances using the same Clk. But I don't know how should I wire this components up?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you have a 16 bit register as the input 

reg input_data; reg a,b,c,d; you can access 4bit segments of it like 

a=input_data; b=input_data; c=input_data; d=input_data; 

a register itself is a latch. what were you planning to achieve using the gated d latch?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

what were you planning to achieve using the gated d latch? 

--- Quote End ---  

A circuit that can store a 16 binary number. 

Something like this: 

img132.imageshack.us/img132/7247/circx.png 

But instead of 4 instances I would use 16 so I could store 16 bits. 

~CLR would be KEY0 

CLK would be ~KEY1 

module D_latch_async_rst(RST, CLK, DAT, Q); input RST, CLK, DAT; output reg Q; always @ (RST or CLK or DAT) if(~RST) Q = 1'b0; else if (CLK) Q = DAT; endmodule
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that should work.. i hope you realized that your circuit is level triggered and not edge triggered.. a 16 bit edge triggered d flip flop would look like this 

module D_latch_async_rst(RST, CLK, DAT, Q); input RST, CLK; input DAT; output reg Q; always @ (posedge CLK) begin if(~RST) Q = 1'b0; else Q = DAT; end endmodule 

i hope someone will correct me if im wrong