Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

No response to my plea for help: Try again

ABerg28
Beginner

I am trying to run the NIOS II tutorial that will run the Hello World program. I tried to follow a YouTube tutorial and got stuck at the creation of the BSP step. Kept getting error messages that I don't understand. I suspect that the problem may be due to poor video quality or to different Quartus versions.

I am running a Terasic DE0-Nano board and using Quartus Lite version 19.1

Can someone point me to a known good, step-by-step tutorial that explains how to build a NIOS II system and is current enough to explain the process on at least the 19.1 version of Quartus? As soon as I see use Qsys I know it is an older version of Quartus, since Qsys has become System Builder. 

This is for an embedded systems course I want to upgrade. Any help would really be appreciated.

Arnie

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @ABerg28,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
I did managed to look into your other thread where you are facing some error on WSL.
Are you using windows OS? And do you have WSL installed?

If not would recommend to try and so do, further instruction to installed WSL can be found here.
Please do try and let us know if that works.

Warm regards.
BB

0 Kudos
ABerg28
Beginner

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I think you've correctly identified the problem for me. However, while I appreciate the fact that you apparently solved the problem, I would have appreciated it even more if Intel had made sure that their design tools would actually work in Quartus II version 19.1 for Windows.

Arnie Berger

0 Kudos
Lawrence_L_Intel
Employee

I wrote the OUWNIOS course (targeted at the DE10-Lite). See: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/course/ouwnios.html

Note that Eclipse isn't shipped natively with Quartus after (I think) version 19.1 . If you redo your pinout, it should be fine, as Nios is supported in all FPGAs.

Qsys was replaced by Platform Designer but its mostly just a name change. For hello world type projects its essentially the same.

Let me know if it works out, else I can get on a quick call with you to sort it out.

Regards,

Larry

0 Kudos
ABerg28
Beginner

Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I'll try the course as you suggest. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "redoing the pins." Do you mean because of the differences between the DE-10 and the DE-0, or is it something else?

Also, the errors seem to come with trying to create the BSP.

Finally, here's some free customer feedback. It would be an incredible help if a fresh pair of eyes looked at the wealth of documents that seems to be available here and reorganized it all, particularly reorganizing around what documents support each version of Quartus and what documents are more general. The technology transfer issues around FPGA design are formidable. Trying to teach it is challenging.

Can you send me your direct e-mail in case we need to set up a chat? Thanks.

arnie

aberger@uw.edu

0 Kudos
ABerg28
Beginner

I should also add that the NIOS soft core is not available outside of Qsys (Project Builder). It would be nice if I could access it through the base Quartus II tools.

Arnie

0 Kudos
ABerg28
Beginner

I tried your tutorial. I have some comments about it, but I got to the same point as before and got the same error. Your colleague, Boon Beng seemed to identify the source of the error. It seems Quartus version 19.1 and later lacks files. I have to download Unbuntu Linux and then us it to download some Linux files that Eclipse needs, then I need to remember to append .exe to files..... Sigh...

Doesn't anybody bother to check this stuff out? I noticed in the tutorial that she was using version 17.1, I was using 19.1. Silly me.

It seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to develop automated scripts to run your tutorials on each version of Quartus so you could identify incompatibilities before your customers do.

Arnie

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @ABerg28,

Good to know that it is working now for the previous issues on WSL, this thread will be transitioned to community support.
If you have queries related to Larry tutorial, please feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts, and we would be right with you. Otherwise, the community users will further help you with doubts in this thread.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
Lawrence_L_Intel
Employee

Arnie and I are in regular contact discussing training with Intel FPGAs. We write many tutorials for a single version of Quartus. Migration can be time consuming especially in cases like this when Eclipse is no longer shipped with Quartus and has a complicated workflow to install.

0 Kudos