Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1087 Discussions

Problem with Altera Monitor Program

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

We try to run a simple Assembler program ( the Quartus II tutorial ) but when trying to download the program into the DE2 board, we get the following error-msg.  

GDB ERROR: Error starting GDB debugger server. (java.lang.NullPointerException) 

Any ideas? 

/Andreas
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same issue. I have quartus 10.0sp1 in win7 and using the Altera Monitor Program

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Quartus 10.1 /windows xp....  

i tried downloading the AMP but i could find only one link which says for Quartus 9.0 and 9.1 

Is there a separate version for 10.1 version ? 

Also when i tried installing the AMP which i downloaded, i got an error saying i have to install NIOS II IDE but i have installed the same already 

help..!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I solved my issue...it was connected back to my Quartus II design file....I had my pin assignments incorrect...once I fixed that, it loaded perfectly 

...as for any versioning issues...I've been told there's an environment variable that may need set, but I don't have any direct experience with this issue
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The AMP works well for me but loading a hex file is a problem since i coudnt sort a memory location and its address. How to proceed next?