Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1082 Discussions

RS232 IP Core on Ubuntu -- DE2-115

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am using the RS232 IP core to send info from a DE2 board to a computer running Ubuntu. When run on Windows, the controller works fine, but when run on Ubuntu the something interesting happens and I cannot find any help with this issue. Here is what I have. 

A sample project (not the actual project I'm using, but something I made to debug the issue, the same thing happens in each):  

module serial( input CLOCK_50, output UART_TXD, input KEY ); reg data; reg valid; wire reset; assign reset = ~KEY; uart u0 ( .to_uart_data (data), // avalon_data_transmit_sink.data .to_uart_valid (valid), // .valid .clk (CLOCK_50), // clk.clk .UART_TXD (UART_TXD), // .TXD .reset (reset) // reset.reset ); reg preKEY1; always @(posedge CLOCK_50) begin if(reset) begin data <= 8'd5; valid <= 1'b0; preKEY1 <= KEY; end else if(KEY != preKEY1)begin data <= data + 8'd1; preKEY1 <= KEY; valid <= 1'b1; end else begin data <= data; valid <= 1'b0; preKEY1 <= KEY; end end endmodule  

Essentially the code is meant to let me output characters by pressing the buttons on the board. When I load this onto the board and press the reset button, I enter into the Ubuntu terminal: 

sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB0 

to retrieve the output from the serial port (I am connecting through a USB converter, which think may be part of the problem, but I believe I have set that up properly) 

When I press the button the board, characters appear in the terminal as expected, but the characters are all &#65533; (the ascii replacement character). No matter what I've tried I cannot get the computer to output anything else. Any suggestions are welcome.
0 Kudos
0 Replies