Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1082 Discussions

SD Audio demonstration - code confusion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When compiling the SD Card Audio demonstration (from the FTP site) there is a problem with the I2C master clock.  

It is line 277:  

// I2C Tri-inout 

assign I2C_CLK = SCL_OE_N ? 1'bz : SCL ; 

The error message is: "Error: The pin "I2C_CLK" has multiple drivers due to the non-tri-state driver "I2C_AV_Config:u1|I2C_Controller:u0|I2C_SCLK"  

I am just learning VHDL, and what I understand is that the master clock is set to High z, which disconnects the master clock from the system which is why I am getting the error message. IF I comment out that line then I am able to compile the code fine. 

However, when I connect my SD card with a few wav files and load the .sof to the FPGA nothing happens. Since I grabbed the demonstration from the FTP site I am assuming the code is up to date, and the I2C_CLK line was necessary. 

I have spent a couple of hours looking at the code and while I understand individual pieces better, I do not understand the system as a whole. Any ideas of what is wrong, or guides that I can read to help troubleshoot my problem? 

Edit: I don't know if this information would help but i found it interesting. Just tried and the TV Decoder demonstration and it worked (minus the video because I do not have a cable to connect the video port of the dvd player to the composite port on the DE2 board). I find it interesting because it uses I2C as well, having the same I2C_AV_CONFIG file and they look identical. However, the difference between them was the audio demonstration set the master clock and data inouts are set to High z.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't need someone to just give me an answer, if there is any other information needed I can try to provide it.  

Or if someone can give me a hint, or some type of documentation that would help point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm facing the same problem. 

Did you get any solution regarding I2C_CLK error..? 

Please reply. Its urgent. 

Thank you in advance..!!