Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1180 Discussions

Simple Socket Server on DE2 w/Davicom DM9000A

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

updated. 

Altera's Simple Socket Server demo running on a DE2 board with the Davicom DM9000a driver. 

here it is....zipped downloaded project source for sss on the de2 board. 

download link currently unavailable. 

Includes: 

- Hardware design (TLD in schematic block diagram format) 

- Programmable .SOF (time-limited, as developed in Quartus Web Edition v9.2) 

- SOPC builder system file 

- DM9000A driver for Nichestack TCP/IP stack / Altera HAL environment (courtesy of Columbia Uni) 

- Simple socket server software 

Simply... 

- (1) Download the .SOF in Quartus Programmer 

- (2) Open the software workspace in the "/software" directory in Nios II Build Tools (Eclipse IDE) 

- (3) Open Run >> Run Configurations. Delete the current configuration. Create a new launch configuration selecting the project name under the Project Tab. Ensure your DE2 board is plugged into USB. Check the target connection tab and make sure it is present. 

- (4) Plug into your local network (DHCP is enabled, or app will default to static IP) 

- (5) View the Nios II console for debugging information (via JTAG UART) 

- (6) Telnet into the board from a pc: telnet <ip address> 30. Enjoy the simple socket server demo from Altera! 

Questions/comments? Fire away below!
0 Kudos
98 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi tnndesign, 

Thanks for uploading this solution for DE2, However I have a couple of questions regarding your design. 

1) Your design works fine as it is, now after I recompile the design (no changes to anything), just regenerating bsp and build the libraries, I experience problems. The simple socket server starts (establishes connection, assigns IP, and even the LED's start blinking) and then for some it reason abruptly stops(cannot ping, cannot establish connection to server, LED's stop blinking). 

2) I noticed that the driver in the example( VOIP pdf) was developed for uclinux, how did you transfer it to Ucos? what changes did you make? 

3) You had earlier said there was a problem you had experienced regarding some directories, maybe I am also experiencing the same problem, could you elaborate on that? 

4) I have a feeling that my compilation error could be because of version compatibility ( I am using quartus 9.0 and do not have any SP updates). So could you update a backward's compatible project archive? 

and lastly 5) I noticed that you have only attached a time limited sof file, I couldnt find any opencores component, have you used any? or is it because that u only have a web edition?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

i think the Simple Socket Server on DE2 w/Davicom DM9000A.zip link is expired and i cannot download it plz send me a mail of this project or at least the Niche stack compatible dm9000a ip at junaid_sarwar@ymail.com.i need it urgent as i am using it in my project. 

thanks 

Muhammad Juanid Sarwar
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hey,i have some problems to download the code,i have tried many times but not successed,can you send it to my e-mail,i'll be appreaited! 

my email : junaid_sarwar@ymail.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi.  

I'm also having trouble to download the file. Can anyone make it available again or mail it to me? 

My e-mail: leandro _ guida at hotmail dot com 

Tanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have posted it.but you email seems to be small to receive it

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi xiongxin18  

Thank for the fast reply. I don't know the limitations of hotmail. Perhaps gmail could handle the size.  

Or, if there's a possibility, you could upload to a server (skydrive, rapidshare, or other one).  

My gmail e-mail: lcguida at gmail dot com  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i did,but it failed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try to use proxy server.i did it and downloaded successfully.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

try to use proxy server.i did it and downloaded successfully. 

--- Quote End ---  

@xiongxin18 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/member.php?u=26259

Can you plz Send me the Dm9000A IP Core And hal Driver Used in simple socket server on de2 w/davicom dm9000a at junaid_sarwar@ymail.com.i tried many times by cant be able to download.... 

its urgent
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can you plz Send me the Dm9000A IP Core And hal Driver Used in simple socket server on de2 w/davicom dm9000a at junaid_sarwar@ymail.com.i tried many times by cant be able to download.... 

its urgent 

--- Quote End ---  

Your Email Is empty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am waiting for the google Code website

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have just setup Google Code hosting for the DE2 socket server project. 

http://code.google.com/p/de2ethernet/ 

Will upload the initial development release in the next few days...after some additional testing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Everithing went ok for me until I downloaded the software to the FPGA, I get this error on NIOS Terminal. 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prepped 0 interfaces, initializing... inet startup error: unable to find any working interfaces panic: IP dtrap - needs breakpoin 

I have quartus II 9.0 whit a valid license. Can't somebody help me? 

Jairo 

--- Quote End ---  

I had this problem also, I had selected the Terasic dm9000a IP in sopc rather than the dm9000a provided with the project. I just copied the dm900a folder and the dm900a.vhd and tcl files to my projects folder. 

JT
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my email is kyea168@126.com, would you like to show me the zip file? I've met some problem with my project, so I'd like to have yours as a verification.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I also need the DM9000A for the SOPC Builder. 

hans.7519@googlemail.com 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

if you don't mind, please send me your zip file! 

nonsuger1211@yahoo.co.jp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,  

please to me too 

thangdc01_02@hotmail.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i Will Share the Simplesocketserver.zip file today.Probably Megaupload link.So you guyz have wait till 12 PM 

Regards 

Hasil86
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, can't wait.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Enjoy................................... 

http://www.mediafire.com/?75wlgv51dyhqq56 

this is the original zip file shared by tnnDesign 

regards 

hasi86
0 Kudos